• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Terrestrial vs. fossorial

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I'm trying to figger out the difference (if there is one) between a fossorial and a terrestrial. I've been reading some web sites but can't come up with much. Some folks say the terms are interchangeable. I have an LP that will dig a little in her hide, but nothing major. I consider her a terrestrial since she is out in the open a lot. Then I read about Ts that need about 8-10 inches of substrate bcuz they dig really really deep. When I read that I can picture those ant farms I had as a kid. So, what's the story? Are they the same or IS there a difference? GO DODGERS!
:T:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fossorial Ts live in burrows underground almost entirely whereas terrestrial Ts tend to live either on the surface or just below.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One of my fossorials that I haven't seen since I got it.
I. mira sling
IMG_20180806_222815_613.jpg

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Fossorial Ts live in burrows underground almost entirely whereas terrestrial Ts tend to live either on the surface or just below.

Gotcha. So, is there some kind of list that identifies certain ones as fossorial? Everything I've seen is either arboreal or terrestrial.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't think I've ever come across a list but maybe someone else has.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member

I see. And since you know a lot more about this than I do, can you think of any just off the top of your head that would be considered fossorial? No pressure, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I personally don't think there are many "terrestrial" Ts. Enn's distinction works, but only to a point. There are probably a few tarantulas that will opportunistically use other animals' burrows, and I guess that's as close as it gets to terrestrial. Most want to be safely underground. Fossorial would be pretty much anything that isn't arboreal, which would be the vast majority of tarantulas. There are almost 1000 described tarantulas, so there isn't really a list. Just expect burrowing to be the default unless it's an Avic or something.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My Kochiana brunnipes has always lived down below until I rehoused her a few weeks ago and since she's stayed above ground. My Ceratogyrus darlingi has webbed a lot and spends time in the web tunnels but is more often on top of the web in full view.
I have 2 Sahydroaraneus raja youngsters that I never see except at rehousing time, they don't even have a burrow opening visible just flat untouched substrate. I do occasionally see substrate moved against the side of the containers but it's usually covered over again quite quickly.

Thistles

3 Year Member
My Kochiana brunnipes has always lived down below until I rehoused her a few weeks ago and since she's stayed above ground. My Ceratogyrus darlingi has webbed a lot and spends time in the web tunnels but is more often on top of the web in full view.
I have 2 Sahydroaraneus raja youngsters that I never see except at rehousing time, they don't even have a burrow opening visible just flat untouched substrate. I do occasionally see substrate moved against the side of the containers but it's usually covered over again quite quickly.
Yes, I think "terrestrial" originated early in the hobby when people were mostly keeping adult female Brachypelma and Grammostola. These spiders burrow as spiderlings, and then stay in the same burrow, which they enlarge, throughout their lives. In captivity, they often won't burrow as adults or weren't provided with deep enough substrate to burrow. I still don't consider these terrestrial, although they can survive without burrowing. I have had a few adult females that I would absolutely consider obligate burrowers who never settled in to their new enclosures and failed to either burrow or adopt the pre-dug burrows I provided.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I'll go ahead and give you a list of species I can think of:

Idiothele mira
Eucratoscelus pachypus
Kochiana brunnipes
Haplocosmia himalayana
Hysterocrates gigas
Pelinobius muticus
Ephabopus murinus
Ceratogyrus darlingi
C. lividum

I could be wrong about some of these.

Thanx. Now I have a little reading to do. I enjoy learning about these different critters.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For fossorial, think of basically a trap door spider or one that lives like that. Basically what you have is a pet hole from which a tarantula briefly emerges for a fraction of a second to feed. You may go months or years without ever laying eyes on the tarantula. Of course, if your tarantula is criminally insane, that's a good thing and a blessed relief.

A terrestrial tarantulas will spend it's time mostly in plain sight eyes up fangs down. This is, in my opinion, a lot more fun especially for a newer keeper or someone with a smaller collection.

L Klugi Justina 1-22-18.jpg

L Klugi Justina posing for album cover.jpg

This is my showcase spider, Justina my Lasiodora klugi. She's a terrestrial NW. A hole in the ground is more boring.

Still, these catagories are not entirely clear cut. They vary by individual.

H pulchripes Hybris hanging out 2.jpg

Here, you can see my male H pulchripes. He was just surprised by a feeder roach I threw in. Frequently, that burrow is the only thing you'd see but about 1 third of the time he'd be out and about the town, ready to vanish like a flash if something startled him. I'd say overall he was terrestrial, but with strong fossorial tendencies.

When much younger, most of them act like borrowers but the terrestrial ones tend to give that up with time.

Last edited:

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have the same hide for my "showcase" spider, Emily. It worx well for her. She is an LP that recently molted and is around 4" now. Your HP is very colorful. Sure he didn't get into some mustard?? My only other two Ts are a couple of A. avics that answer to Elvira and Esmeralda. One just molted today in her web and I don't know what to do next. Should I just leave the molt and web alone or remove the web and molt? I can't take the out the molt w/o screwing up her web. Any ideas would sure be helpful.

Latest posts