• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula laying out flat, is this normal?

lasiodora-parahybana1980

3 Year Member
About a week ago, my two years old Lasiodora parahybana molted and has had a great appetite, but noticed something odd. Over the last few days it's been laying on the ground flat. The abdomen looks plump, just not sure why she's laying out flat. Is it just stretching its legs? Thanks for the insight. Ben.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Tarantulas stretch their legs and body after molting - that's totally normal. They can either lay flat and very stretched or be in relatively bizarre looking yoga poses. Sometimes they lay flat just because they can.

However, you said it has had a great appetite.. Are your tarantula's fangs already black and hardened up? Depending on the size of the tarantula, the hardening up process takes some time and tarantula should not be fed at all to avoid injuries - Most importantly fang damage.
With small slings the wait is usually few days, juveniles 1 - 2 weeks, older adults even longer.

Though, since your tarantulas has already eaten it should be fine for now. But just for future molts. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
About a week ago, my two years old Lasiodora parahybana molted and has had a great appetite, but noticed something odd. Over the last few days it's been laying on the ground flat. The abdomen looks plump, just not sure why she's laying out flat. Is it just stretching its legs? Thanks for the insight. Ben.
Laying flat is a completely normal thing for a spider to do just after a moult. They are basically getting used to the new exoskeleton and maximising how much growth they can get before the outer skin fully hardens and then is no more room left to grow. As previously stated, do not offer any food until at least 1 week after amount or fangs completely hardened and shiny black.
Her is my A. geniculata stretching after her moult a couple of years ago
20160206_121738.jpg

Latest posts