• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tapinauchenius sp Caribbean Diamond

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
My 1" specimen that I received from a friend of an acquaintance is super good at burrowing and hiding despite their label as a Tappi.
20160719_203640.jpg
This end is the exit. The entrance is behind a leaf semi webbed up. It would seem this Tap might be an obligate burrower as opposed to the test. The others have made den areas but not as shut off not as constantly in it as this guy. I keep a large water dish on dry sub in the enclosure as I have my other Taps and temps in the mid to high 70s.

Figured I'd document this since I hadn't really done it with my sling and there isn't a ton of into out there on this species of Tap.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
20160714_072424.jpg

Before hiding away. Basically haven't seen him since other than obsessively searching for the other end of the tunnel last night. It has burrowed under the water dish and webbed up that chunk of coco sub.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Today as I was giving water and a mealworm to Dorado he was out, but then I watched him scurry from under the clump area and right into his burrow entrance as seen in the first picture which is definitely unusual behaviour compared to the rest of my taps.

I have also noticed as a sub adult Rajah is more out and on display than she was before.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
After taking its first mealworm immediately post move, it has ignored the last two and stays burrowed much of the day.

I think it might be in pre-moult!

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
There really isn't. I believe this a newly/recently discovered species of Tap, one of two. I got my sling back in April so possibly sometime during the winter. The other is a sp Union Island that Tarantula Canada has, but I haven't seen in the States yet.

I have not seen Dorado today at all, think he's in that den. His abdomen is what I would consider small but he is refusing food which my other Taps have done prior to moulting. And my violaceus moulted with what i considered a small abdomen too (not dehyradted small, just small in plumpness). He seems comfortable and happy but that is hard to tell since I rarely see him and he has the water dish that is always full.

I was lucky to find one this big at a very reasonable price. The other one I had was a 3/4" from Ken the Bug Guy so the only people I know who have had them are Ken and Frank Somma of NY Insect Zoo. Dorado was obtained from Frank whom I am not sure where he got them from, but it took awhile (approx a week or so) and the shipment was delayed a day on its way to Frank).

Thistles

3 Year Member
Interesting. They're very pretty! I just got a subadult female T. plumipes, who is only the second Tap I've ever had. I've always found them beautiful, but just haven't made them a priority. You're like queen of the Tappis lol.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
At least here I am, I love Tappis! I am on mission to get them all. I just finished my order for an elanae and am in process of ordering for a plumipes myself.

I've seen one of an adult T. sp Caribbean Diamond on the classfied linked below and this pic comes of of spidershop.pl:
Tapinauchenius-sp-Caribbean-diamond.jpg

And then this pic from the same person on an internation classfied website/ad.

What this tells me is my 1" is a juvenile, since there is a gold tone in the carapace, but right now the legs aren't that black. After my sp Colombia first moult with me she got black legs, when I first got here she was more beige in the legs. If Dorado is indeed in pre-moult it will be interesting to see his behaviour and coloration. In my photo trhead or a previous thread titled excitement by me, I have posted pics of the sling from Ken. It had more of a purplish tinge to it, but that classic black stripe down the abdomen was present in the sling, and Dorado does have it but its less contrasting.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
My so Colombia and college is are pretty fuzzy/fearhery. I would say that Taps are actually fuzzy but the satin sheen makes it look less so.

But yes, def underappreciated.

Thistles

3 Year Member
My so Colombia and college is are pretty fuzzy/fearhery. I would say that Taps are actually fuzzy but the satin sheen makes it look less so.

But yes, def underappreciated.
I think of gigas as being the fuzzy tap and expect the rest to be glossy lol

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Well it would seem like my theory was correct:
20160723_154025.jpg
Click and zoom, black abdomen now!

I decided to just take pics with a flash to see if the flash could see what my naked eye couldn't and I was right! It saw him in his favorite entrance. No idea how big he maybe but he still fits in his tunnel and no moult can be seen so hopefully eventually he drags it out.

After seeing this I went to look closer with flashlight and he scurried in but not to the other entrance o he might have some tunnel system and where his moult is too.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well it would seem like my theory was correct:
View attachment 18035
Click and zoom, black abdomen now!

I decided to just take pics with a flash to see if the flash could see what my naked eye couldn't and I was right! It saw him in his favorite entrance. No idea how big he maybe but he still fits in his tunnel and no moult can be seen so hopefully eventually he drags it out.

After seeing this I went to look closer with flashlight and he scurried in but not to the other entrance o he might have some tunnel system and where his moult is too.
Good luck with the moult. Can't wait to see some pics in its new coat (if you can get one before it scurries back into the tunnel)

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Thanks! I can't wait to see the full new coat myself, and when I go to check on him next, I'll have the camera prepped!

Stll hidey-holed away for the time being. It was pure luck I got that booty! Glad I did though.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
@Phil As promised, I had my camera ready to take pics if she had emerged. Guess she was waiting for her looks to be all settled in. Measured her as well since she stayed still long enough for me to (which was amazing as before she was scurrying all over the place) and now she is coming in at 2".
20160724_104634_resized.jpg
This pic is my favorite. He's all legs currently, that awkward teenager look. And upon inspection @Thistles only the back two legs are that super fuzzy/hairy. The rest are smooth. I've also noticed that all my Taps and I am betting this what helps classify them have a green stripe, almost like a vein down their feet part of their legs.
20160724_104639_resized.jpg
20160724_104703_resized.jpg
20160724_104929_resized.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Phil As promised, I had my camera ready to take pics if she had emerged. Guess she was waiting for her looks to be all settled in. Measured her as well since she stayed still long enough for me to (which was amazing as before she was scurrying all over the place) and now she is coming in at 2".View attachment 18053 This pic is my favorite. He's all legs currently, that awkward teenager look. And upon inspection @Thistles only the back two legs are that super fuzzy/hairy. The rest are smooth. I've also noticed that all my Taps and I am betting this what helps classify them have a green stripe, almost like a vein down their feet part of their legs.View attachment 18054 View attachment 18055 View attachment 18056
Oh she's a good girl....lol and so pretty. Lovely little thing. She was ready for her close up for once. Probably go into hiding now but the pics will be there for the all of time. Human technology 1, spider evolution 0. Ha ha

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Oh she's a good girl....lol and so pretty. Lovely little thing. She was ready for her close up for once. Probably go into hiding now but the pics will be there for the all of time. Human technology 1, spider evolution 0. Ha ha
Haha yes probably, until fresh after her next moult. She wants to document her best self apparantly. While she was scurrying, she wasn't going into the tunnel which is easy distance esp for a Tap from that area she was in.

I love that buttt, looks like it was dipped in gold.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haha yes probably, until fresh after her next moult. She wants to document her best self apparantly. While she was scurrying, she wasn't going into the tunnel which is easy distance esp for a Tap from that area she was in.

I love that buttt, looks like it was dipped in gold.
Does she have a name? Midas would be good ☺

Latest posts