• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sweet video about six eyed sand spider

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great video. Love Jon's work. I have an adult Six Eyed Sand and a relative from the U.S: American Sand Assassin Spider (
Homalonychus sp.). The Homalonychus (or at least mine) spends more time above the sand so I get to see her every day. The important takeaway is the Sicarious sp. is ranked as the 2nd most venomous spider in the world. Not for the beginners for sure but an incredibly interesting species. These guys are like something out of a Sci Fi movie with the way they stay buried in the sand and overwhelm their prey from below.

NYX

3 Year Member
The species was in was in one of Jon's feeding videos. It reminded me of the movie Dune. Lol I am officially snowed in so I get to pound tarantula videos and lurk around the boards today! :rolleyes:
I am really interested in these and black widows but I have some time to go still.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol. I should have cautioned you on the dangers of perusing these sites. Especially snowed in. Could end up like me? My invert collection is over a hundred strong and I blame both Ken and Anastasia for some of that :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you NYX. You look like you are well on your way. I started with T's. Then Scorpions. Then Beetles. Then Mantis. Then Vevet Ants (actually wingless wasps) and then.....We will see what comes along next.

You nailed it on the head. I love the diversity and different behavior patterns and colors of the variety that I have collected. Never a dull moment.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Denny I think you r a little bit crazy for wanting a spider that if you get bitten by it they probably have to amputate your arm....thats if u survive the bite. lol. More power to ya bud. lol

Hey i also got my first couple bugs to try mounting. this week. they r currently rehydrating. got a whip spider, a giant soldier ant a fiddle beetle, and a male and female giraffe weevil. guess we will see how i do. :) just throwing that out there cause we were talking about it a little while ago.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's why I try really hard to not get bitten! :T:. Seriously, these spiders are not for everyone. I am fascinated with venomous creatures. Always have been. But I am also very aware of the dangers. All of my enclosures are double locked, I wear heavy gloves when I need to do maintenance as well. Most true spiders, like the recluses and the widows, have very small fangs and cannot pierce even jeans. They suffer from the same bad rap as T's due to a lack of education and our own instinctive fears. Now my scorpions, that is another matter indeed!

Glad to see you giving the dried insect collection a go. I studied entomology back in school. Make sure you use a form of embalming fluid on the larger insects. Bummer you can't "pin" dead spiders. Probably should have stayed with it as now I am making up for lots of lost time. :D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I dont see why you cant pin spiders. i saw a couple of spiders being pinned. well just tarantulas. also maybe you know, ive been trying to figure it out. but on the side of the forceps i got there is a sharp pin on one side inside the forceps and a coresponding hole on the other side of the forceps. ...u know what thats for?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Arachnids won't usually last pinned. The exoskeletons are too brittle when they dry out. Most collectors use alcohol jars. Don't think I know what the purpose of that would be for? Can you send a photo?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's a pic of those forceps. What do u think?

Attachments

• 21ZrqrmjtvL._SX342_[1].jpg
    21ZrqrmjtvL._SX342_[1].jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 10

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe that the pin is used to push the insect pin through the specimen label