• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Successful first feeding for A. Avic!

thholyghst

So today I decided to try feeding my Avic Avic some mid size roaches, she rarely comes down to ground level of her enclosure and tong feeding wasn’t working. Her abdomen has gotten a bit smaller since I got her a couple weeks ago so I decided to try getting her in a large deli cup to ensure no lost roaches and it worked! She stayed vertically on the deli cup wall and grabbed a roach shortly after I dropped it in. She even did a little spin around and dropped a little silk I did drop another in and she did grab and hold onto it for a bit before letting it go so I let her take her meal to go.

She is incredibly slow moving though and I’m hoping she’s just super chill and she isn’t really weak or unwell. I can essentially pet her carapace, abdomen and back legs with a small paintbrush without her being bothered much at all. She hasn’t been shielding herself with her legs like she was and I noticed some light webbing amongst the leaves in her enclosure as well so I’m thankful she’s seemingly settling in well!

GarField000

3 Year Member
I don't get it. You cup her and feed her in the cup?

I feed the arboreal's red runners here because they also climb up. If they are hungry they will hunt for it.
A red runner does not burrow under the substrate but keeps running :D

Slow moving can be upcoming molt, but she just ate so probarbly not.
They get slower if it's cold.

thholyghst

I don't get it. You cup her and feed her in the cup?

I feed the arboreal's red runners here because they also climb up. If they are hungry they will hunt for it.
A red runner does not burrow under the substrate but keeps running :D

Slow moving can be upcoming molt, but she just ate so probarbly not.
They get slower if it's cold.
Yeah, she stays up at the top at least 95% of the time lol lost a mealworm when I tried that and had to dig it out. I haven’t seen red runners at any local shops but I’ll see if I can get some of those instead. I’m concerned her enclosure may be too large to ensure she’d catch it but I could be overthinking. I’ll attach a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_8804.jpeg
    IMG_8804.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8989.jpeg
    IMG_8989.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

GarField000

3 Year Member
Looking at the first picture with her on it the enclosure would not be to big for her.
Not all T's like tongfeeding. I think trying something else than worms could be a sollution.
feeding hit every time by cupfeeding is not the best sollution

Latest posts