• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Standing over water dish after meals?

Kiiarah

3 Year Member
Hi everyone. This question is in regards to the baby A. chalcodes I recently found and am rehabilitating. For anyone who hasn't seen previous posts about her, she turned up in my apartment one night dehydrated and with two missing legs. She has since been with me, the dehydration is treated and she has been looking a ton better. Lately I am also seeing a greatly increased feeding response, which is wonderful, and her behavior has been taking on more of a set pattern. She is only about 1.25 - 1.5'' so she is still very tiny.

What I have been noticing lately though is that every time I feed her she will spend about an hour eating her cricket and as soon as she finishes she goes straight to her water dish where she stands for about another hour. Finally she will retreat to her hide and I won't see her near the dish until her next feeding.

Now I do know that constantly being by the water dish can be a sign of dehydration, but she only does this after meals. She doesn't appear to actually be drinking either. She will just stand on her toes sort of hovering over the dish for quite some time before finally leaving. All other behavior is normal, so I am inclined to not worry too much, but I thought it worth mentioning in case it can be a sign of any other problems I am unaware of. So has anyone seen any similar behavior or have a guess as to why she is doing this? I would really appreciate some insight into it. Thanks! :)

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Just using the water dish as a mirror to make sure nothings clinging on the fangs. "Gotta look pretty." Lol!
Seriously though, as long as its appetite is good not much to worry over. IMO. It eats, has a water dish and a hide to feel secure = contented tarantula. Sounds like your doing a good job caring for it. [emoji106]