• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Springtails

AllHailCobaltblue

Hello forum.

I have bought some springtails that i want to put in my enclosure with my c. Haplopelma. The reason i want to use springtails is, that the soil has started to have some white mold, there are some smalle spots with it

My question is, do i ned to clean out the enclosure and soil before letting my springtails in the spil?

Or can i put in the springtails in the soil and then over time will they eat the mold

I Hope some can share their experiences

From

Morten

tarantulas118

I dont use springtails yet but from what I’ve seen people just dump there springtails in and that’s it!
IMO I don’t think you should change everything out for some springtails theyll just eat the mold and boluses. What species enclosure are you using them on?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What I would do is add your supply of springtails 50/50 to your enclosure & to a sandwich tub with substrate in it. Like that you will also have a ready supply of springtails to add to whatever enclosure you want to.

And buy yourself a small tin of dried yeast, to keep your springtails well fed, as a T will not supply sufficient food to keep your springtails thriving on their own. I feed my springtails & woodlice in my tarantula enclosures at the same time that I feed my T's. Just an eighth to a quarter of a teaspoon of yeast & your springtails will thrive.

Edited to add. Yes just add the springtails to your enclosure.