• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Signs Tarantula is Dying?

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Hello. I bought one of my tarantula's Oct 2009 as a baby, no bigger than my fingernail. He is a Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee). He did his mature molt the summer of 2011. The last couple days he hasn't been acting normal. Can't keep abdomen off of ground and keeps his legs close to him. When moving he kind of flails about... Is this really the end?
Photo on magazine from earlier in his life, other is today..
tar.jpeg.tara.jpg

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Looks like no one replied on the second photo is his his legs curled underneath him? Because that's a sign of a death curl and he had his final molt right?

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Because sadly....that's how my Skeleton Tarantula looked when he died.....:/
Yes. He had his mature molt back in early 2011. He still moves around but when he rests he curls his feet under him. I'm thinking it's the end. How long did you have your Skeleton Tarantula?

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Sadly I've a Mature Rosie and I believe I got a old one at the store because he molted in Feb then he molted in the end of April into a MM not really looking forward 2 him dying any time soon. Oh that's not a good sign at all when they curl their feet underneath them that's the death curl stance. I had mine for a month what was really strange was he was active and happy then I woke up one morning and found him dead with all of his 8 legs curled up underneath him dead :/

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
If he matured back in 2011, he has had a very good run and has just come to the end if his life unfortunately. Males don't (usually) moult again after their maturing moult and basically just slowly die away unfortunately. Just part of the big circle of life.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Thank you everyone. He passed last night. When I bought him as a baby I was hoping he would turn out to be a girl! He did have a good life. I may get another baby in the future. My male rose hair who passed last year went quick, not like this one. Does anyone know how long female rose hair's live? I've had mine since 1999.

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Thank you everyone. He passed last night. When I bought him as a baby I was hoping he would turn out to be a girl! He did have a good life. I may get another baby in the future. My male rose hair who passed last year went quick, not like this one. Does anyone know how long female rose hair's live? I've had mine since 1999.

About 20 years+

Latest posts