• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scientific name

KingBaboon83

Not sure where I should post this question. But is there a site or list on this forum with scientific name translated to common name i under stand there's over 900 species and many have more than one multiple name. I would like to learn both names for each species

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most of the ones I've come across have been way out of date, so many scientific classifications have changed. Most hobbyists try to stick to the scientific names to avoid confusion as many common names refer to more than one T.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Common names don’t follow any established rules and therefore don’t mean much. Each common name potentially refers to multiple scientific names and multiple common names are used for each given scientific name. Although scientific names do change with pear-reviewed scientific papers, they actually describe distinct species. Stick with scientific names if you want to be sure of the actual species you are talking about. Common names can get confusing really quick because they don’t have an established meaning.

KingBaboon83

Common names don’t follow any established rules and therefore don’t mean much. Each common name potentially refers to multiple scientific names and multiple common names are used for each given scientific name. Although scientific names do change with pear-reviewed scientific papers, they actually describe distinct species. Stick with scientific names if you want to be sure of the actual species you are talking about. Common names can get confusing really quick because they don’t have an established meaning.
Yeah makes since. Will have to learn

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@KingBaboon83
try tarantupedia.com too. Pretty good. some pics in there as well of mature males and females. As per other posts, scientific names are the best for reference.

Latest posts