• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on feeding

namTlover

3 Year Member
Hello. I have had my two red rumps for a while now. I keep them in clear plastic containers. They really enjoy borrowing along the container wall. This potentially lets in a lot of light into their borrows. Now my question is , knowing they are nocturnal will this affect their eating habits. I do notice they are very sluggish when i feed them when I do. Is this because of when i feed them or are they just like that?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello. I have had my two red rumps for a while now. I keep them in clear plastic containers. They really enjoy borrowing along the container wall. This potentially lets in a lot of light into their borrows. Now my question is , knowing they are nocturnal will this affect their eating habits. I do notice they are very sluggish when i feed them when I do. Is this because of when i feed them or are they just like that?
They have to be able to see the night/day change. if the light is on 24/7 they'll get lethargic and won't eat.

Which red rump do you have?

namTlover

3 Year Member
@kormath I have mexican red rumps. The light is only there during the day when the sun is up. At night the room where im keeping them is dark. Brachypelma vagans

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as they notice light changes shouldn't be a problem. What temp is the room at? If it is on the cooler side that might account for their slow behavior. Also, do u feed them at night? Mine eat better when the sun goes down.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as they notice light changes shouldn't be a problem. What temp is the room at? If it is on the cooler side that might account for their slow behavior. Also, do u feed them at night? Mine eat better when the sun goes down.
agreed. I eat dinner then feed the Ts ;) they're more active that way. B. vagans do great in mid - upper 70's temps. When my room drops down to the low 70s most of my Brachy's go to their hides until the temp comes back up.

Latest posts