• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Psyrocke's Molts

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
So at some point within the last 48 hours, my Chaetopelma olivaceum molted. I have no idea how I am going to get whats left (seemingly just legs) out of the hammock-tunnel he has created both because of said tunnel and because as you can see he is heavily guarding his remains.

That and I'd rather not be attempted to be struck at by OW...from Israel haha. But more so the first two cause its at the very bottom of that hammock tunnel. But man is he a stunning deep velveteen black now!
20160619_213511.jpg
20160619_213945.jpg
20160619_214031.jpg

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Instead of starting a whole new thread, I'll just add my second molter here. He tried to do it right side up and got stuck last night and I performed tiny ER tactics on him and left him normal again (he appeared to have almost drowned and got stuck with his pedipalps and first 2 legs raised) last night and this morning and after returning from checking on Kable (my banana California Kingsnake for those who haven't seen those posts), I come home to find he too had molted within the day and started getting his big boy colors. I'm venturing he went from a 1/2" to 3/4".
20160620_195230.jpg
You can't really tell here but his bum is like an auburn color (it will be red as an adult) with the black patch. This is Ninhursag my Brachypelma vagans.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I love how velvety pretty the vagans are after a molt :)
Yes! Like a Christmas tree! This is my third molt in total of the 7 still remaining tarantulas and by far my proudest since apparently he was trying to molt in a not so successful fashion when I found him stuck.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats!! Most likely the olivaceum will either push the molt out when gets tired of it, or break it up and stick in the web somewhere for decorations.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Congrats!! Most likely the olivaceum will either push the molt out when gets tired of it, or break it up and stick in the web somewhere for decorations.
Theoretically except that I tried to get it out last night and it ended up more buried but since he appears to having been noming on it I'm sure he will dig it back up haha.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Ahem, and it just keeps continuing. Other than Mr. Big Butt whose put up the do not disturb and the Phormictopus. They are the only 2 not to have one molt in my care now.
octavious.jpg
This is Octavious. The last one left of my 3 fragile 1/8" inch Kochiana brunnipes slings when I got them. He is now probably a 1/2" and I wasn't expecting to molt yet but apparently he felt differently and other than my juvenile Tappinauchneius that molted in January, the biggest size change.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
And it just keeps coming. Over the weekend Miwi took her turn:
20160627_171952.jpg
20160627_172003.jpg
20160627_172316.jpg

I think she grew a whole inch! I wasn't expecting her to molt so soon since she wasn't looking super faded, and while a good eater did not eat as much as Balthazzar did. She arrived at an inch and since she is smushed (she likes being in that little tunnel and making herself flat) here looks to be about 2in maybe.

This just leaves 2 left. My "do not disturb" cabocla who other than that shows no signs! and my P, sp South Hispaniola who recently started eating again after being nervous and scared.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
So..apparantly Rajah (my Tapinauchenius sp Colombia) was feeling a bit too big or impatient. She molted in January, and again last night. This time she didn't do it in the branches of her "vine" but rather her feeding corner so I was able to take snaps throughout until I went to bed.
20160701_003031.jpg
Beginning
20160701_061926.jpg
Post-old ex in the corner, new but in that little cave (fav spot)/ That white dot is poop I need to clean >_>
20160701_061932.jpg
Another angle of the old skin.
20160701_004209.jpg
Midway through. This angle for some reason makes her look blad to me.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Looking at that butt in the cave, I have to say she is looking a richer auburn than the orange she displayed last molt. Whats funny is she was out last night and I was like, huh your butts a bit faded since your molt, but it wasn't as brown as her prior molt was so I was taken by suprise last night when I saw the white fangs!

Latest posts