• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

TravelingT

Hi. I haven't been on here in a long while. My tarantula, Colby is around 33-36 years old (she was gifted to me by a friend almost 30 years ago and she was already an adult and molting almost every year when I first got her). Her last molt was a rough one. It happened in October and I had to help her. Now, she is walking funny, she has only eaten one cricket since her molt and today when she was walking, it looked like she had a seizure and she laid herself down flat on the substrate. I haven't noticed any webbing as of late either. I know she is old, but does anyone know about signs of old age?

Thanks,

Tara

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It could just be that she's coming to the end. She's obviously had a long, happy life with you.
The only other possibility is that you may have used some chemicals near her such as fly spray, pet flea killer or aerosols of any kind.

TravelingT

It could just be that she's coming to the end. She's obviously had a long, happy life with you.
The only other possibility is that you may have used some chemicals near her such as fly spray, pet flea killer or aerosols of any kind.
I make sure no chemicals go near her and no bleach is used in my house either. Unfortunately, I think you are right. I have been dreading this time for a while. Since she was about 30 years old.

Thank you for the kind words.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's always sad to see them go especially when they have been with you so long.
Go and treat yourself to another T and enjoy learning the ways of a new one. You'll never replace Colby but it will help.

Salatia

We don't know nearly enough about how their systems work, and how those systems 'decay' with age, to be able to truly know what is 'normal' old age and what is abnormal pathology being made visible by old age and so on. Kind of the difference between dementia and natural forgetfulness and such.

As such, I think anyone who keeps tarantulas should keep some notes on that individuals normal behaviour, and anything out of the ordinary that occurs, usual moulting behaviours pre and post, that sort of thing. It would be amazing to be able to have crowdsourced information like that, even anecdotal. Yes quality will vary, but this can be strengthened by having more input - where the info shows commonalities then it is likely more reliable. Just thinking out loud, sorry. But yeah, notes on behaviour when approaching the 'extremes' of age for the species could be informative. And if (when) more physiological studies are performed these things may then be explainable.

In your case, it's not uncommon for things to 'misfire' neurologically as mammals reach advanced ages. I imagine the same can happen in invertebrates - though it may be more complex, or more basic, I don't know. There are chemical processes going on in close relationship and proximity to the neurones themselves, which also may play a part. Legs going flat like you describe suggests the internal pressure may have raised for a moment, since low pressure/dehydration causes curling and the pressure helps in extension of limbs. They have incredibly sensitive sensory systems, it doesn't seem a huge leap to think that some degredation of the systems at work over time could result in issues. We simple need more info.

Apologies if this is too much of a reduction to a 'clinical' analysis - for me it helps to try to understand the processes at work, but I appreciate not everyone finds this to be the case. We lost our last rabbit -of three we have had as a couple- a few months ago due to what seems to have been age related misfiring. She started having issues moving quite suddenly, which progressed to seizures in a short time. Honestly, the whole story around it is kind of funny just because of that rabbits personality and how it all went down in the end. She was 10 so not a bad age, and prior to that she'd never had any issues. Our vets always loved to see our three due to them being in such good condition, and the two boys also appear to have passed due to age related issues as far as any one could tell - at 10 and 11. I won't go into the chaos around my girls passing right now, though I will if anyone is curious, but seizures and similar simply don't seem uncommon past certain ages in many species. I'm definitely interested to see how our knowledge grows in this area.

If it is soon to be time for your rosea it sounds like she's had a good long life with you, and that's something to be glad of. I'm sorry if it is time, it's sad when they've been a part of us and then have to move on.

TravelingT

We don't know nearly enough about how their systems work, and how those systems 'decay' with age, to be able to truly know what is 'normal' old age and what is abnormal pathology being made visible by old age and so on. Kind of the difference between dementia and natural forgetfulness and such.

As such, I think anyone who keeps tarantulas should keep some notes on that individuals normal behaviour, and anything out of the ordinary that occurs, usual moulting behaviours pre and post, that sort of thing. It would be amazing to be able to have crowdsourced information like that, even anecdotal. Yes quality will vary, but this can be strengthened by having more input - where the info shows commonalities then it is likely more reliable. Just thinking out loud, sorry. But yeah, notes on behaviour when approaching the 'extremes' of age for the species could be informative. And if (when) more physiological studies are performed these things may then be explainable.

In your case, it's not uncommon for things to 'misfire' neurologically as mammals reach advanced ages. I imagine the same can happen in invertebrates - though it may be more complex, or more basic, I don't know. There are chemical processes going on in close relationship and proximity to the neurones themselves, which also may play a part. Legs going flat like you describe suggests the internal pressure may have raised for a moment, since low pressure/dehydration causes curling and the pressure helps in extension of limbs. They have incredibly sensitive sensory systems, it doesn't seem a huge leap to think that some degredation of the systems at work over time could result in issues. We simple need more info.

Apologies if this is too much of a reduction to a 'clinical' analysis - for me it helps to try to understand the processes at work, but I appreciate not everyone finds this to be the case. We lost our last rabbit -of three we have had as a couple- a few months ago due to what seems to have been age related misfiring. She started having issues moving quite suddenly, which progressed to seizures in a short time. Honestly, the whole story around it is kind of funny just because of that rabbits personality and how it all went down in the end. She was 10 so not a bad age, and prior to that she'd never had any issues. Our vets always loved to see our three due to them being in such good condition, and the two boys also appear to have passed due to age related issues as far as any one could tell - at 10 and 11. I won't go into the chaos around my girls passing right now, though I will if anyone is curious, but seizures and similar simply don't seem uncommon past certain ages in many species. I'm definitely interested to see how our knowledge grows in this area.

If it is soon to be time for your rosea it sounds like she's had a good long life with you, and that's something to be glad of. I'm sorry if it is time, it's sad when they've been a part of us and then have to move on.
I have extensive notes on her and have been keeping track of her molts bu taking pictures with dates on them. I was able to teach her how to 'type' her name. Yes, on a computer keyboard. Though, she doesn't have the strength to press the buttons, she recognizes the letters. Which I thought was extremely impressive by the time she was around 10 or 11. I wish cell phones were around with picture and video capability back then to prove it. I posted a picture on my 'Hey All' thread of her with her self portrait done in webbing on her substrate. The last picture. She also interacts with people she likes. She used to always pet my finger with her front right toe when I held her. I don't hold her anymore due to her age and I don't want to stress her out. She has a personality and she is definitely sentient. These are the things I have witnessed and have recorded working with her and having her. What prompted the teaching her on the keyboard was a study I read about tarantulas being able to memorize a maze even after they molted. The study didn't specify what type of tarantula but I wanted to conduct a different experiment and it worked! She has taught me a lot throughout the years we have been together and I am extremely grateful.

TravelingT

Also, I have found that she likes different types of music and have repeatedly seen her bob and dance to it and other types she just sits there or goes into her hideout.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Also, I have found that she likes different types of music and have repeatedly seen her bob and dance to it and other types she just sits there or goes into her hideout.

I've had a couple of Ts that have done the same when my son was playing his Heavy Metal music.