• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new zilla vetical terrarium

jsdspif

I bought one yesterday and am new to tarantula. This is the 12x12x 18 inches high kit. I thought it came with like a log and some leafy stuff but that isn't included. It's got some coco stuff for the bottom and a tiny little water bowl. So just for starters I guess I need the cork log or whatever and some leafy stuff ,like plastic leaves? I have no setup experience.I listed the animals I've had/have in the intro section. Before I purchase the log and leafy stuff does a pink toe need something on the floor to hide in? Or something enclosed sort of standing upright to hide in? I'll be asking more questions about setup before too long. I'm just trying now to get everything prepared so once I get the spider it will be just put it in there and then not bother it for a while.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don’t keep any arboreal tarantulas, so someone with that kind of experience hopefully will chime in.

But there are some things that apply to tarantula keeping.

You have not mentioned how big the tarantula you are getting is, as the size of the enclosure should reflect the needs of the tarantula. I know that for terrestrial T’s, too big of an enclosure makes it harder for them to find food and may be “intimidating” to them prompting them to spend a lot of time in a hide.

But it is good that you are asking questions now and not after getting the tarantula.

Also including pictures once you set up would help us in offering advice.

x_raphael_xx

This is my little set up for my versicolor.
They love a cork tube or half tube. I've hot-glued a waterdish to the cork.
If you have the same Zilla as me, I will say I'm not a huge fan of them, the clasp on the top is flimsy and breaks apart when I lock/unlock for feeding & watering.
20221220_174010567_iOS.jpg

And from the back...
20221220_174039301_iOS.jpg