• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T. Albo Enclosure Questions

TwinkleToes19

Hello, I am planning to buy a new enclosure for my female T. Albo. She is currently a sub-adult and roughly at 4 in diagonal leg span. I am wanting to get an enclosure that will suit her into adulthood, and I have my eyes set on an 18 x 18 x x 18 in exo terra enclosure. Will this be big enough for her and the adult size for the species?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My adult female T. albo is in a 12x10x10" enclosure and seems quite happy. As adults they don't burrow so much and they definitely don't need so much height because there is the risk of them climbing and falling and injuring themselves.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
18" of head space is unnecessary for a terrestrial tarantula. They need ground space not height. My adult albo pictured has less then 8" of height. 20.5"L x 10"W x 8"H.
20221110_160957.jpg

TwinkleToes19

My adult female T. albo is in a 12x10x10" enclosure and seems quite happy. As adults they don't burrow so much and they definitely don't need so much height because there is the risk of them climbing and falling and injuring themselves.
My baby loves to burrow I have found out, but there is a shorter model that is 18 x 18 x 12. Also I would be giving her a good bit of soil since she is an opportunistic burrower.

TwinkleToes19

It also means you'll have more room for mot tarantulas. :D
I honestly do wish to get more tarantulas, but the people I live with aren't really fond of the idea. I honestly want a G. Pulchra, they are another great beginner T and they are so lovely looking to me. When I first started getting into exotics I was going to get an Emperor Scorpion but I couldn't find any locally, and I'm glad I didn't because I wasn't really educated enough on scorpion husbandry. I ended up getting my T. Albo instead and fell in love with her immediately, I had a decent set up and just needed to adjust a few items to provide a better enclosure for her. (Beginner mistakes: humidity guage and heating mat the shop was keen to sell :rolleyes:)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sure they'll soon become fascinated by them just as you have.
The G. pulchra is a beautiful T but there is no need to stick to "beginner" species as long as you read up on what their characteristics are and are prepared for them, then buy what you really want. My first T was an OBT (Orange Bitey Thing).
Shops will sell you anything they can just to make as much money as they can and most don't know what is needed anyway,

TwinkleToes19

I'm sure they'll soon become fascinated by them just as you have.
The G. pulchra is a beautiful T but there is no need to stick to "beginner" species as long as you read up on what their characteristics are and are prepared for them, then buy what you really want. My first T was an OBT (Orange Bitey Thing).
Shops will sell you anything they can just to make as much money as they can and most don't know what is needed anyway,
Is that your OBT in your pfp, they are very pretty, I've also though about a L. Parahybana but that would be a future endeavor for sure.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is that your OBT in your pfp, they are very pretty, I've also though about a L. Parahybana but that would be a future endeavor for sure.

That was my original one, sadly she died but I currently have a juvie and a sling of the Red colour form and a sling of Usambara Mountain variety. It was that glorious colour that attracted me.
L. parahybanas are lovely Ts too and easy to keep.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I honestly do wish to get more tarantulas, but the people I live with aren't really fond of the idea. I honestly want a G. Pulchra, they are another great beginner T and they are so lovely looking to me. When I first started getting into exotics I was going to get an Emperor Scorpion but I couldn't find any locally, and I'm glad I didn't because I wasn't really educated enough on scorpion husbandry. I ended up getting my T. Albo instead and fell in love with her immediately, I had a decent set up and just needed to adjust a few items to provide a better enclosure for her. (Beginner mistakes: humidity guage and heating mat the shop was keen to sell :rolleyes:)
Hi there
My girlfriend is was not fond of tarantulas too.
Best way is to get slings .They are small ,cute and not intimidating and take very little space. Some of the slow growing species like Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma will take good 5-8 years to get to 4-5 inch mark .In that time people in your house will get used to them and won't take notice of them as their tolerance will grow with the spider. There are also the so called dearf species too more colorful usually and max out at 3-4 inch.The down side of those is they may be a little more fast moving and skittish and require a little more experience to care for them properly
Regards Konstantin

TwinkleToes19

Hi there
My girlfriend is was not fond of tarantulas too.
Best way is to get slings .They are small ,cute and not intimidating and take very little space. Some of the slow growing species like Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma will take good 5-8 years to get to 4-5 inch mark .In that time people in your house will get used to them and won't take notice of them as their tolerance will grow with the spider. There are also the so called dearf species too more colorful usually and max out at 3-4 inch.The down side of those is they may be a little more fast moving and skittish and require a little more experience to care for them properly
Regards Konstantin
My boyfriend is a bit squeamish towards the Brachypelma but he seems to like the A. Chocolades. I haven't given that T much thought but I may be willing to settle on that one. The reason he likes my current T (a T. Albo) is because it is fluffy. He has called them a coconut and also a dirt gremlin since she loves burrowing.

Latest posts