• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help setting up a GBB Enclosure

LauraMI

3 Year Member
I have an 18"t x 12"l x 8"d enclosure is like to move my GBB into. Indeed advice on the furniture, but firstly, I'm concerned about the height. I know GBB's are terrestrial, but don't know how high they venture in the wild or when given the opportunity in captivity. I've seen them called semi-arboreal, but don't know if that's quite accurate.

image.jpg

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Like above posted I would be worried about it climbing and dropping. The cage is gorgeous great for an Avic or 2 or perhaps if you are feeling brave Pokies. You do make some nice looking setups.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Like above posted I would be worried about it climbing and dropping. The cage is gorgeous great for an Avic or 2 or perhaps if you are feeling brave Pokies. You do make some nice looking setups.
I know... Nature has no ceiling, but it also has no glass walls. & T's fall all the time in nature, & I'm sure they die from it too. I'm torn.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely an arboreal enclosure. But sooooo many choices. Where did you get the plants? Very cool!

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Joann Fabrics. I was totally a kid-in-a-candy store!!! Three aisles of options! Wait 'till you see the amazing juniper-ish branch I picked up for two terrestrial displays!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Joann Fabrics. I was totally a kid-in-a-candy store!!! Three aisles of options! Wait 'till you see the amazing juniper-ish branch I picked up for two terrestrial displays!
You have got to be kidding??? Never thought I would venture into a fabric store but here I go! :confused:

LauraMI

3 Year Member
You have got to be kidding??? Never thought I would venture into a fabric store but here I go! :confused:
Bring $$ & get yourself coupons o line/newspaper first. They had the most perfect looking succulents too, but at $6+, I had to pass.
My favorite score was the "tree root", really an upside-down branch... Combined with that great, curly branch...I'm thrilled! I was going for that beachside feel w/ a touch of shabby-chic vintage.
I personally hate silks & fakes having been an Interior Horticulturalist prior to Baby & had my doubts before walking in there. But there was so much tasteful selection... I am screwed...& about to annoy the crap out of my 3 sub-adults!

LauraMI

3 Year Member
P. S. About to tick you all off but I love you guys too much to lie: Kiwi the GBB molted a few days ago & is getting the enclosure. It's barely 2"(or was pre-molt) & rarely leaves its hide. I'll be careful & watch to see if it freaks & runs up the glass, but I've "researched" & many think GBB to be semi-arboreal & have done similar enclosures. Scary to me, I've seen mature T's put I to taller, narrower enclosures. I've run this enclosure by others & have received mostly positive feedback.
I'm rationalizing & hope all goes well. Since the Kiwi took to its driftwood I've not seen it stray far. Not has it been an extensive webber. My hope is that it start from the bottom up.
I hope this doesn't cause anyone to think too much less of me.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bring $$ & get yourself coupons o line/newspaper first. They had the most perfect looking succulents too, but at $6+, I had to pass.
My favorite score was the "tree root", really an upside-down branch... Combined with that great, curly branch...I'm thrilled! I was going for that beachside feel w/ a touch of shabby-chic vintage.
I personally hate silks & fakes having been an Interior Horticulturalist prior to Baby & had my doubts before walking in there. But there was so much tasteful selection... I am screwed...& about to annoy the crap out of my 3 sub-adults!
That is a great skill to have with your T and Reptiles. You must have some awesome looking enclosures. Thanks so much for the advice and I will track down a store soon.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P. S. About to tick you all off but I love you guys too much to lie: Kiwi the GBB molted a few days ago & is getting the enclosure. It's barely 2"(or was pre-molt) & rarely leaves its hide. I'll be careful & watch to see if it freaks & runs up the glass, but I've "researched" & many think GBB to be semi-arboreal & have done similar enclosures. Scary to me, I've seen mature T's put I to taller, narrower enclosures. I've run this enclosure by others & have received mostly positive feedback.
I'm rationalizing & hope all goes well. Since the Kiwi took to its driftwood I've not seen it stray far. Not has it been an extensive webber. My hope is that it start from the bottom up.
I hope this doesn't cause anyone to think too much less of me.
I have several enclosures that violate the 2x height rule. So far, no issues but I do get nervous each time I see them crawling upside down on the screen :eek:! Good luck with this.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow. I think we are all probably guilty of violating the "2X Height" rule sometimes, but a 2" sling in a cage that size? I'm just confused, as you were expressing concern over the height in the first post, then most folks came on and reinforced your concerns by saying that it would be a good enclosure for an arboreal. Then, come to find out that this isn't an adult, but a sling. I find it puzzling that you are choosing to use it anyway.

No disrespect meant at all, I just don't get it. I'm sure the little guy might go his whole life without incident, but why take the chance, especially after board feedback supported your initial suspicions?

Last edited:

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Wow. I think we are all probably guilty of violating the "2X Height" rule sometimes, but a 2" sling in a cage that size? I'm just confused, as you were expressing concern over the height in the first post, then most folks came on and reinforced your concerns by saying that it would be a good enclosure for an arboreal. Then, come to find out that this isn't an adult, but a sling. I find it puzzling that you are choosing to use it anyway.

No disrespect meant at all, I just don't get it. I'm sure the little guy might go his whole life without incident, but why take the chance, especially after board feedback supported your initial suspicions?

Thank you, & I didn't take that in the tiniest bit the wrong way. I like larger cage-sizes, feel that it's more natural as in nature, there are no walls. What Kiwi is in now has the same floor space, roughly, & it hasn't had trouble feeding at all. That is my biggest concern: stray crickets.
I have done a fair amount of GBB research, & I've seen a lot of semi-arboreal set-ups. They are considered to be as such in many circles. Again, I've heard from many that it's worked for their GBB, from many who've expressed concern, & from some who've been in the middle on the issue.
It isn't a done deal yet, however. Kiwi is still here in the old house while the enclosure is at our new house...done on purpose so I have time for more research. :)

LauraMI

3 Year Member
DARN YOU ALL & your voices of reason!! :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I'm all for experimentation but not w/ innocent animals. Someday, if I have $$, I'll fly to Venezuela & do field research, but for now I'll stick to the tried & (boring) true.
Thing is, I have no $$ and thought to cut the rehousing cost for two of my other T's. I used a Christmas gift card to buy plants & had this great empty cage, and T's to provide for... Now I still have two cages to buy & a great, empty cage! ;)
As a reward, does anyone have an Avic or Pokie they want to give me?! ;) :p

Latest posts