• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My once friendly rose hair is now crazy.

MyKindOfLullaby

3 Year Member
My rose hair used to let me pick her up and was very friendly! She molted a few months ago and ever since then she attacks EVERYTHING. Stuck my hand in there, tried to attack it. Had tongs in there, tried to attack them. I know rose hairs are weird spiders, but is this just temporary or is she forever a mean spider now?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I've heard of tarantulas' personalities changing when they molt. My Redknee got a little bit jumpy and skittish after her molt 3 months ago. She has now calmed down quite a bit, though. It might be the same case with your Rosie, but you can never tell for certain.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Well said Sabeth, I have heard the same thing. Rosie's are just unpredictable T's in general. Trust me I own one haha :) she is not captive bred so that could be why mine isn't the best for handling. But yes sometimes molts can do this behavior changes to a T. My Chaco Golden Knee has molted only once in my care (he/she is a sling) and now he flicks and tries to shoot poo at me.

MyKindOfLullaby

3 Year Member
Well said Sabeth, I have heard the same thing. Rosie's are just unpredictable T's in general. Trust me I own one haha :) she is not captive bred so that could be why mine isn't the best for handling. But yes sometimes molts can do this behavior changes to a T. My Chaco Golden Knee has molted only once in my care (he/she is a sling) and now he flicks and tries to shoot poo at me.
...poo?! Gosh, I learn something new every day haha. Within the last week, creature decided her favorite thing is to put her butt in her water bowl. She usually hates her water bowl. Odd, odd spider.

entomology

3 Year Member
Hi all. That is a very touchy subject to most people and always debatable, but I can share my experiences that's all. I breed most Poki's and they are actually alot more timid than people make out as they more flee than bite unless u provoke them and push the boundaries with them. Like all animals and I've worked with them all lol. Each day they might behave differently so alway do things slowly and use a brush just to see the spideys demeanor / reaction towards your advancement and you can act accordingly. No tarantula likes being handles at all as they don't like being on another living animal and hence they stall when they feel ur hand. I handle mine as seen on YouTube vids, but at a great rosy because like all animals they are unpredictable and can bite at any given time so if your gonna take the risk make sure u know the consequences before doing it lol. Remember their fangs are used for a variety of different uses for eg: envenomation, burrowing, defense and climbing and heavily bodied T's have the tendency to use fangs to assist to climb and if its tour arm well then U know what to expect. Sometimes external factors like altitude, temp and humidity can effect your tarantulas behavior? Did you change anything or sis u increase the ambient temp in enclosure?

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Very well said entomology :) 100% correct! I always test out my T's temperament before handling, I am always extremely cautious because their attitude can change in an instant.

Latest posts