• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moss for Bioactive Enclosure

Sugar Wolf

Hi is there anyone here that knows about live moss or has experience with live moss I'm just trying to figure out if the moss that I have is okay to be put in my T's bioactive enclosure the name of the moss is Ceratodon purpureus.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Where did you get the moss from? If it was not from a reliable source for invertebrate or reptile supplies or from a reliable source for organic garden supplies or similar, then it is probably best not to use it.

Atar

Where did you get the moss from? If it was not from a reliable source for invertebrate or reptile supplies or from a reliable source for organic garden supplies or similar, then it is probably best not to use it.

Curious as to why.

I bought live moss from a reptile supply store... still not sure if I want to put my T in there yet.. lots of little worm type creatures in the moss. Ive been wondering if they are fungus nats, and if they arent, could those little worms potentially harm my tarantula via direct damage or fostering an environment where something else like a bacteria or parasite would harm my avic.

TL;DR What are the main concerns with mosses whether it be chemicals or detrimental organisms?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What are the main concerns with mosses whether it be chemicals or detrimental organisms?

My concern would be putting something in with my T that is from an unknown source & that could thus have all sorts of detrimental effects on my T, or its environment.

Atar

My concern would be putting something in with my T that is from an unknown source & that could thus have all sorts of detrimental effects on my T, or its environment.
Lol, but Im asking what is thought to cause those "detrimental effects". My concern with my moss that I picked up is all the knats. There are a lot, and that shouldnt be the case if these containers of moss were sealed. Im guessing that the "unknown" element is EXACTLY what Im looking at with these small worms. Even though I bought them from a reptile supply store, sometimes you just dont know how a product was handled prior to purchase.

jessie

I have zoo med frog moss in mine, it comes dried and cleaned so theirs no critters in it. You rehydrate it and keep it misted with purified water and most will green up and start to grow.

jessie

Here’s a pic

Attachments

• IMG_8869.jpeg
    IMG_8869.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have zoo med frog moss in mine, it comes dried and cleaned so theirs no critters in it. You rehydrate it and keep it misted with purified water and most will green up and start to grow.

I was given a box of dried moss last year, when I brought a T off someone. And I like to use it with species that like dry condtions. If I moisten it, it's when I do my weekly feed & with others I leave it as dry decoration, as it gives larger slings something to hide in or under & all, something dry to stand on, if they want. And being dry a box keeps for months, so no wastage.

Atar

Im personally skipping moss forever more, I tried dried boxed moss and living stuff both were horrible and ended up mouldy Maybe for a massive enclosure with sprayers and loads of air movement but for slings it was no good for me.

Latest posts