• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mealworm Burrowed

DuntyDunt

Tarantula Club Member
Hello,

I've just started with my first tarantula (4y B. hamorii) and I've fed her crickets, locusts and mealworms before but this time I decided to not crush the head as I wanted to see a ''battle'' for my entertainment. I know, I'm stupid. Anyways, the mealworm burrowed itself in the substrate instantly, and I've removed the T. from the enclosure, all decorations and I dug, and I dug, and I dug. For 30 minutes I dug up poop and insect carcasses but no mealworm was found, so I gave up and placed everything back in the enclosure.

Now my worry is, can this one mealworm pose any threat to a ~circa 10cm leg span T. ? She's molted already barely 2 weeks ago and if she is to molt again I will monitor her and defend her from the possible sneaky beetle. My guess is I killed the mealworm while digging and it's so covered in dirt I wasn't able to spot it.

Sugar Wolf

I've done the same thing a few times and always the mealworm either gets eaten by the T ( Which I have a few T's that love to dig the mealworms and superworms out of the ground or the mealworm will eventually come out and then I remove the mealworm or it will die from lack of food. If your T just molted barely 2 weeks ago it probably wont molt again for a good while and the mealworm would probably starve by then. So my best guess is either the mealworm dies or the T eats it but the T will defend itself though. If your really worried about it and cant find the mealworm or it never comes out then I would just replace the substrate if thats an option but it shouldn't be a problem.

DuntyDunt

Tarantula Club Member
Thank you for the fast response, I also thought about those options and figured it's not at that level of seriousness but I still thought making the post and asking was worth it.

nellyitchabelly

Hello,

I've just started with my first tarantula (4y B. hamorii) and I've fed her crickets, locusts and mealworms before but this time I decided to not crush the head as I wanted to see a ''battle'' for my entertainment. I know, I'm stupid. Anyways, the mealworm burrowed itself in the substrate instantly, and I've removed the T. from the enclosure, all decorations and I dug, and I dug, and I dug. For 30 minutes I dug up poop and insect carcasses but no mealworm was found, so I gave up and placed everything back in the enclosure.

Now my worry is, can this one mealworm pose any threat to a ~circa 10cm leg span T. ? She's molted already barely 2 weeks ago and if she is to molt again I will monitor her and defend her from the possible sneaky beetle. My guess is I killed the mealworm while digging and it's so covered in dirt I wasn't able to spot it.
More than likely it's going to hide in the substrate and pupate and turn into a beetle. They do that in my tarantula enclosures all the time and they don't seem to bother the tarantulas. I would imagine they probably eat the Beatles eventually. But I am new at trance was also this is just my. But I am new at tarantulas also so this is just my limited experience I hope this helps. I wouldn't worry about it

Latest posts