• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Legs pulled over face

Pompchin

This morning I found my ~18 month old, curly hair tarantula at the bottom corner of his tunnel with all of his legs pulled back over his face and body. Frantic googling informed this this is not a death curl, but a sign of extreme stress.
I know he has been very stressed since the temperatures started dropping at night. He has been refusing food for about a month, and become lethargic, but I don't think he is preparing to molt as he has not shown the other signs that he displayed the first time, and also it feels to soon for him to molt. His most recent molt took place 7 months after I got him, and that was only 5 months ago. These changes correlated with the time it started getting cold at night. I have a Creatures brand heating pad against his tank and he spends 90% of his time in a dark pocket of his tunnel pressed against it. The humidity in his enclosure has been within the ideal range, but the temp hovers just above 70° even with the heater.
The hides we provided for his enclosure are a curved dry pine bark, and a long stick leaning diagonal across the enclosure. He dug a tunnel from under the pine bark that wraps around two sides of the enclosure
The long stick had made a small shelter against one of the corners, but he filled in this area with soil when he dug out his tunnel.
A few weeks before he stopped eating he dug a second entrance to the tunnel at the end furthers from the pine bark. I have never seen him use this, but several times prey have accidentally fallen in. They prey unable to get out walked up the tunnel and startled him.
I am suspecting the history of unexpected visitors in the tunnel is what has lead to him feeling unsafe, in combination with discomfort from the cold.
The enclosure he is currently in was designed vertically for climbing spiders, and only gives him 12"x12" to dig and walk around. (I have already purchased him a longer 10"x20" Creatures den and I intended to move him in by Thanksgiving.)

Can someone give insight if the reasons I suspect are likely the reasons he is feeling unsafe, or if there is something I am missing?
I read tarantulas should not be moved in this stressed pose. When he comes out of it, is there a time limit I should wait before moving him to his new enclosure?

Attachments

• IMG_5090.jpg
    IMG_5090.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

GarField000

3 Year Member
First off .... are you sure it's the spider and not a molt ? :D. That has happend to me before.

I never saw a spider sit this way ...... Not sure if it's about not safe.
You can paste a paper on the outside for him to see nothing. But they usualy just stay down there to chill.
I saw a picture of a large hopper you gave him .. that should be enough food for a few weeks. If you give him that every week he will be full soon enough and stop eating and maybe already go in pre-molt.
What I have seen with my animals is if you feed them a lot, the pre-molt / not eating takes much longer than if you feed less.

70F is nog a problem or to cold. In the winter time I have it 72/74 during the day and in the night it drops to 65/66.
They do ok with no issue.

Pompchin

First off .... are you sure it's the spider and not a molt ? :D. That has happend to me before.

You can paste a paper on the outside for him to see nothing. But they usualy just stay down there to chill.
I saw a picture of a large hopper you gave him .. that should be enough food for a few weeks. If you give him that every week he will be full soon enough and stop eating and maybe already go in pre-molt.
What I have seen with my animals is if you feed them a lot, the pre-molt / not eating takes much longer than if you feed less.

70F is nog a problem or to cold. In the winter time I have it 72/74 during the day and in the night it drops to 65/66.
I'm sure that's him, he buried his last molt on the other side of the enclosure. Thank you for your response

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This morning I found my ~18 month old, curly hair tarantula at the bottom corner of his tunnel with all of his legs pulled back over his face and body. Frantic googling informed this this is not a death curl, but a sign of extreme stress.
I know he has been very stressed since the temperatures started dropping at night. He has been refusing food for about a month, and become lethargic, but I don't think he is preparing to molt as he has not shown the other signs that he displayed the first time, and also it feels to soon for him to molt. His most recent molt took place 7 months after I got him, and that was only 5 months ago. These changes correlated with the time it started getting cold at night. I have a Creatures brand heating pad against his tank and he spends 90% of his time in a dark pocket of his tunnel pressed against it. The humidity in his enclosure has been within the ideal range, but the temp hovers just above 70° even with the heater.
The hides we provided for his enclosure are a curved dry pine bark, and a long stick leaning diagonal across the enclosure. He dug a tunnel from under the pine bark that wraps around two sides of the enclosure
The long stick had made a small shelter against one of the corners, but he filled in this area with soil when he dug out his tunnel.
A few weeks before he stopped eating he dug a second entrance to the tunnel at the end furthers from the pine bark. I have never seen him use this, but several times prey have accidentally fallen in. They prey unable to get out walked up the tunnel and startled him.
I am suspecting the history of unexpected visitors in the tunnel is what has lead to him feeling unsafe, in combination with discomfort from the cold.
The enclosure he is currently in was designed vertically for climbing spiders, and only gives him 12"x12" to dig and walk around. (I have already purchased him a longer 10"x20" Creatures den and I intended to move him in by Thanksgiving.)

Can someone give insight if the reasons I suspect are likely the reasons he is feeling unsafe, or if there is something I am missing?
I read tarantulas should not be moved in this stressed pose. When he comes out of it, is there a time limit I should wait before moving him to his new enclosure?

I hope you have made a mistake in talking about his hide being pine bark. Pine is toxic to Ts and snakes so if it is really pine then remove it quickly.

Pompchin

I hope you have made a mistake in talking about his hide being pine bark. Pine is toxic to Ts and snakes so if it is really pine then remove it quickly.
I'm actually not certain if it is pine, I just made an assumption from the look of it. I bought this cover at petco and they do not state what kind of wood it is. I will replace it with a plastic cover just in case

Pompchin

UPDATE: HE MOLTED.

GarFeild000 is correct!! He had himself hidden away so all we could see was the shed. He is out and about now and I am so happy he is okay!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5091.jpg
    IMG_5091.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Heretic

I was laughing my butt off reading this... Happened to me once as well. I saw the T folded up like a closed flower and thought it was dead. Reached in to move it and the actual T ran out of another den... scared the pee out of me... LMAO. I was looking at a molt. Fun times.

Latest posts