• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

just got 2 Avicularia versicolor slings

mindburner

3 Year Member
I currently have them for a very temporary measure in small glass jars, one each.

I'm not keen on them in these as the lids are small.

Since the photo I have some small bits of bark for climbing.

I am feeding microcrickers and maybe some lightly larger ones.

I have lightly misted one side of the jar and plan to do this every few days..

Are there any other tips for thsi sling newbie

Attachments

• DSC_0376.JPG
    DSC_0376.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 64

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd definitely change their tubs into something you can put cross ventilation in, as stagnant humidity is a big Avic killer. They live in trees where any rain would be dried out by the wind quite quickly.
They should also do fine with having small water dishes (spiders don't drown in clear water), that way you don't have to spray too often.
Once in their new tubs I'd add a few more plants and decorations, so they can web around it. I found the more plants and co I give mine, the more visible she is (I got her as a grown on sling/juvie, she's a subadult now), probably because she has her retreat in case she gets spooked.

Other than that, congrats on the new addition. A. Versis are incredibly beautiful from sling to adulthood and great eaters. Mine's a feisty little madam. Not shy at all and considers anything that enters her vicinity as potential food, lol.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was about to ask a similar question. I'm getting an A. laeta sling (2nd-3rd instar) next week and wanted to check that the container below will be ok. It has holes round the sides of the lid as well as round the top of the pot and I have put another row just above the substrate. I've added a piece of bark and plants, Water bowl is still to be added.

@mindburner Sorry to jump on your thread but I thought as it was relevant to Avic housing you wouldn't mind.

mindburner

3 Year Member
hi not go ahead and jump in. Interesting info on slings, as I have hopefully got to grips with the new world Brachi spiders.

Thanks for the great advice as I find there is not as mush info out there on slings, especially on humidity. It makes sens to have them humid but not at the expense of ventilation.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
Congrats on the new A,versi (i love this spices ) listen to fuzzball it's spot on advice:)

@enn
I would add another lot next to each row u have all ready so there double rows not single !!! ;)

#Angela#

3 Year Member
Congratulations on your new babies! I have two versis and an A. Minatrix. All three I have raised up from 0.5 inch slings. I started mine in the arboreal sling enclosures from jamiestarantulas. The humidity issue is a tough one to get a handle on. I lost one minatrix because the enclosure got too dry, and it had a bad molt. With Jamies's enclosures, I kept them humid by spraying so that small droplets were on the interior walls (not in the webs) and in my climate they would dry out each night. When I thought they were getting close to a molt, I would spray more often so that the babies would drink (including on their webs). I did not put water bowls in until they were over 1inch. Just my preference.

They are a really fun species. One of my versis sees everything as food and is always out prowling her territory. The other one is a little more reclusive, but comes out to look around on occasion. (I interpret that as being hungry, so that's when I feed). Even their web designs are different! I have enjoyed watching them grow up as a pair, because they are so different.

Congrats! Do you have names picked out?

Angela

mindburner

3 Year Member
Congratulations on your new babies! I have two versis and an A. Minatrix. All three I have raised up from 0.5 inch slings. I started mine in the arboreal sling enclosures from jamiestarantulas. The humidity issue is a tough one to get a handle on. I lost one minatrix because the enclosure got too dry, and it had a bad molt. With Jamies's enclosures, I kept them humid by spraying so that small droplets were on the interior walls (not in the webs) and in my climate they would dry out each night. When I thought they were getting close to a molt, I would spray more often so that the babies would drink (including on their webs). I did not put water bowls in until they were over 1inch. Just my preference.

They are a really fun species. One of my versis sees everything as food and is always out prowling her territory. The other one is a little more reclusive, but comes out to look around on occasion. (I interpret that as being hungry, so that's when I feed). Even their web designs are different! I have enjoyed watching them grow up as a pair, because they are so different.

Congrats! Do you have names picked out?

Angela

just from having these two little spiders, I can see it's a remarkable achievement to raise them up. I have now moved one of the slings into a refurbed tall clear milkshake carton, with a bit more substrate and a plastic plant to climb on. This one has managed to take down a cricked just slightly smaller than herself. I was quite impressed. I had the little spider-ling on my hand, the only T I am convinced will not take a lump out of me:)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah cross-ventilation is a must have with Avicularia. Keep the substrate dry and provide a small bottle cap as a water dish. That will provide all of the humidity they need. No, they won't drown. Moist stuffy cages kill Avics.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Yeah cross-ventilation is a must have with Avicularia. Keep the substrate dry and provide a small bottle cap as a water dish. That will provide all of the humidity they need. No, they won't drown. Moist stuffy cages kill Avics.
Perfectly said. In my opinion, moist & stuffy Avic cages are the cause of "SADS," Sudden Avic Death Syndrome. Such a common cause of Avic death, it's given a name. When you think you have enough holes, add more. I put tons of holes on the sides of the container & none on the top. That holds moisture better. Then, each night I turn a low fan on my T cages for 10 mins or so -- not a gale, just a breeze. This forces the air to circulate even more than usual through the sides of the enclosures.

Latest posts