• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a sperm web?

x_raphael_xx

This is my first breeding attempt!
I received this mm n.incei last week. He matured on 5th June.

I don’t want to put him in too early if he’s not ready, but don’t want to leave it too late and have him pass.

I’ve noticed long thick stringy webbing and wonder if this is the remnants of a sperm web

ECF23EAF-6A09-4F71-963B-7C7BD722C1B4.jpeg

The gentleman in question…
EAB2CF1D-5138-400D-AE58-B3B77D964E77.jpeg

ta122

It very well could be. He's definitely ready after two months. Has he had exposure to the female? You can place some of her webbing into his enclosure, keep their enclosures side by side, cup him and put him in with her, or if they're as non-confrontational as the N. incei gold, you could cohabitate for a while. I pair mine multiple times or cohabitate to make sure the pairing is successful.

x_raphael_xx

It very well could be. He's definitely ready after two months. Has he had exposure to the female? You can place some of her webbing into his enclosure, keep their enclosures side by side, cup him and put him in with her, or if they're as non-confrontational as the N. incei gold, you could cohabitate for a while. I pair mine multiple times or cohabitate to make sure the pairing is successful.
The enclosures are next to each other, but so far I haven't noticed any behaviour to show they have sensed each other.
I'll try adding her webbing in, then attempt to cup him and pop him in. (He's so fast lol)
I was thinking of just popping him in as I've heard they generally get on okay, I just worry he's going to get grabbed before he's ready.
Thank you for the advice!

ta122

The enclosures are next to each other, but so far I haven't noticed any behaviour to show they have sensed each other.
I'll try adding her webbing in, then attempt to cup him and pop him in. (He's so fast lol)
I was thinking of just popping him in as I've heard they generally get on okay, I just worry he's going to get grabbed before he's ready.
Thank you for the advice!
I remembered afterwards that inceis are communal. You could introduce him while supervising, and if there's no aggression leave him in. I've had some of mine cohabitate for weeks. I haven't lost a male with my tarantulas yet. Knock on wood.

x_raphael_xx

Well the females webbing seemed to spark something, he was pacing and tapping this morning!
(Hopefully the vid will load, it doesn’t always!)

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Generally, and of course this may be different for Incei, when a male matures it can be a few days, weeks maybe months before he is really ready. If he lays a sperm web and you find him upside down and inside it like he has a blanket on him, once he comes out of that web he is definately ready.
The fact that he is tapping suggests that he is ready. Just my opinion, dont quote me on it. You have to try it once to understand what is happening. Once you do that you wont be so nervous about pairing them.

x_raphael_xx

Generally, and of course this may be different for Incei, when a male matures it can be a few days, weeks maybe months before he is really ready. If he lays a sperm web and you find him upside down and inside it like he has a blanket on him, once he comes out of that web he is definately ready.
The fact that he is tapping suggests that he is ready. Just my opinion, dont quote me on it. You have to try it once to understand what is happening. Once you do that you wont be so nervous about pairing them.
He mature June I’ve been told.
I’ve heard these guys can be communal, or at least a little friendlier to each other, so hoping its a gentle introduction into my breeding plans :)

Latest posts