• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

im new to this, need help

hubert2533

i put a black cricket in the terrarium and my tarantula didn't eat it for the past 2 days

i even see it kind of headbutt the tarantulas legs, do i take it out? is this normal?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello. Yes, you take uneaten food out after 24 hours normally. As live food can cause some T's stress, plus as you find out sooner or later. Crickets can bite. . If you know your T & can see that it causes no issues, then sometimes it is worth leaving food in for longer. I have 3 T's I currently leave crickets in for 48 hours, as for some reason they tend not to bother eating if I don't. But we normally say remove any uneaten food after 24 hours & simply offer food in a weeks time.

Some T's eat every week, others can go many months between feeds.

hubert2533

Hello. Yes, you take uneaten food out after 24 hours normally. As live food can cause some T's stress, plus as you find out sooner or later. Crickets can bite. . If you know your T & can see that it causes no issues, then sometimes it is worth leaving food in for longer. I have 3 T's I currently leave crickets in for 48 hours, as for some reason they tend not to bother eating if I don't. But we normally say remove any uneaten food after 24 hours & simply offer food in a weeks time.

Some T's eat every week, others can go many months between feeds.
Thank you

Latest posts