• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How often do they feed

Paleo22

My 8-year-old has two tarantulas and is worried they are not eating enough. He offers food twice a week but is concerned that they will go a week or more between feedings. Is this normal or should he be doing something differently?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Much depends the size of the tarantulas he has. Tiny slings can be fed twice a week but as they grow they can go longer periods without food, for instance my big adults get fed every 3 weeks or so.

Last edited:

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I feed my slings (spiderlings) every other day. So they have access to fresh food when they need it. But everything else gets fed once a week & I then have to remove uneaten crickets from at least 25% of my enclosures.

Some tarantulas will go months without eating & never offer food until at least a week after molting, as fangs will be soft.

Over feeding a T is not ideal, as being too fat, could affect their ability to molt easily.

In the wild T's are ambush predators. That is, they sit & wait for the food to pass them by. So in the wild they probably go longish periods between meals.

Latest posts