• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Homoeoma sp Fire (formerly Euathlus sp Red)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I bought this little T, Chila, from @sym in February 2016, he had bought it back in March 2015. I know it had moulted in January, just before I got it, and it has moulted again with me at the beginning of June. When it first came it only seemed interested in prekilled tiny crickets but since it's moult last month it has started taking live. That moult also marked the beginning of a tiny hidey hole, for the first time it has somewhere to hide away. Tonight is the first time I've actually seen it eat and Chila was not letting go, running around with it. I think it's going to be a long time before Chila grows up but I think I shall enjoy watching its progress.

It's hard to believe that Chila is around 18 months old (it's in a 2" dia container)

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
they take 3-4 years to mature but worth the wait. I have an adult female and 6 sling/juvies about 1.25" and it took a year to get that big from about 1/4"
One of my favorites, actually all the Euathlus are great. If you get the chance don't pass up the yellows and also a sp North (Chilean bronze) former Paraphysa sp north my adult female is smaller than the adult female Reds

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
they take 3-4 years to mature but worth the wait. I have an adult female and 6 sling/juvies about 1.25" and it took a year to get that big from about 1/4"
One of my favorites, actually all the Euathlus are great. If you get the chance don't pass up the yellows and also a sp North (Chilean bronze) former Paraphysa sp north my adult female is smaller than the adult female Reds

Now that concerns me. This one was around 0.25" when sym bought it but after 18 months is still only less than 0.5" yet yours reached 1.25" in just a year.
I shall certainly keep my eyes open for the others, they are such adorable little Ts.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I thought I'd update on this little one. Chila is doing great now and eating 2 small live crickets every week so I'm hoping it will grow a bit more quickly now. It's a very active little T though and I love watching it as its legs seem to go everywhere.

DSCF6697 (2).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Chila has moulted today and has grown more noticeably this time, in fact I think I can say it's reached 0.5" at last.
DSCF6859 (2).JPG

Last edited:

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
Hello friends,

I will be getting an euathlus sp.red in October. She is only 1/4" and in a pill bottles right now. I am nervous and excited at the same time about her arrival. I hope I can provide for her correctly. They are just so darn delicate at that size. I really valve reading everyone's stories and hope to add some of my own soon! I know I will have lots of questions when the time comes, and all advice is welcomed

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@MyLilRed I just love mine, so cute, but be ready to feed either pinhead crickets or prekilled to begin with.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello friends,

I will be getting an euathlus sp.red in October. She is only 1/4" and in a pill bottles right now. I am nervous and excited at the same time about her arrival. I hope I can provide for her correctly. They are just so darn delicate at that size. I really valve reading everyone's stories and hope to add some of my own soon! I know I will have lots of questions when the time comes, and all advice is welcomed
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Apr from size, they are not that much different to look after. Enn has already pointed out that pin heads or prekilled is the way to go with slings. If you get the chance I would always go for pinheads. They are hunters after all so let them hunt. Just. Ake sure any live food offered is no larger then the abdomen of the spider you are feeding. That is a generally a good rule of thumb for every spider regardless of the size. Hope this was helpful and if you have any questions, feel free to ask as loads of really helpful people here. If you have pics of your Ts, don't forget to post them too. We all love seeing pics. ☺

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Apr from size, they are not that much different to look after. Enn has already pointed out that pin heads or prekilled is the way to go with slings. If you get the chance I would always go for pinheads. They are hunters after all so let them hunt. Just. Ake sure any live food offered is no larger then the abdomen of the spider you are feeding. That is a generally a good rule of thumb for every spider regardless of the size. Hope this was helpful and if you have any questions, feel free to ask as loads of really helpful people here. If you have pics of your Ts, don't forget to post them too. We all love seeing pics. ☺
That's for your advice. I was wondering when you and Enn say "pre-kill does that mean serving a dead pinhead cricket or dead meal worm..ect

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's for your advice. I was wondering when you and Enn say "pre-kill does that mean serving a dead pinhead cricket or dead meal worm..ect

Yes, if you nip its head it will still twitch and attract the T's attention

Latest posts