• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Has anyone ever…

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
fed mealworm beetles—> Tenebrio molitor, to their tarantulas? I’m thinking the juvies might like them?
72AE2D06-AE21-4418-9E2B-D475161DD5F3.jpeg

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I recall trying, a couple of times, but there wasn't too much interest compared to the larvae and crickets.

Then the frass started giving me hayfever, and that knocked the idea on the head altogether.

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
Just tried two mealworm beetles with A. genic—-she grabbed immediately. Of course, she’s the only one I have that never turns down a meal—

MBullock

3 Year Member
The freshly molted adults make good feeders for things that dont like mealworms.

Some scorpions seem to only want prey with antennae, for example so a fresh imago will work.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I believe live mealworm beetles give off a noxious gas if anything tries to attack/eat them.

But yes, I have used them for food. I fed them the same way I would a mealworm. I decapitated them & fed them as dead, but fresh, food. Nothing ever seems very interested in them, but I do sometimes use them.