• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time owner

hollydamery

With all the questions I have about my new baby, I'm glad to have a place to ask some experts.
I bought a B.Smithi sling from the pet store at the beginning of June.
I haven't named it yet because I don't know the sex nor am I sure it will survive.
It was eating a cricket once a week and stopped. It hasn't eaten now for weeks - not since the last week of June.
I do know that this is typical behavior of a spider in a pre-molt phase, but it seems so long to go for such a tiny thing.
I have done my best to keep the enclosure moist. It doesn't look dehydrated to me, but I am checking it multiple times a day for the molt process but am so anxious that I will find it dead.
This is him or her below.

I guess I want reassurance that other slings have gone a month without food and thriv

Attachments

• IMG_6657 (1).jpg
    IMG_6657 (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the group. A picture of its enclosure will help us make sure everything is up to par. If it's not eating this would lead me to expect it is entering premolt. Make sure it has plenty of water to drink. They also don't like wet substrate so just keep a small area moist by the water dish for now.

hollydamery

With all the questions I have about my new baby, I'm glad to have a place to ask some experts.
I bought a B.Smithi sling from the pet store at the beginning of June.
I haven't named it yet because I don't know the sex nor am I sure it will survive.
It was eating a cricket once a week and stopped. It hasn't eaten now for weeks - not since the last week of June.
I do know that this is typical behavior of a spider in a pre-molt phase, but it seems so long to go for such a tiny thing.
I have done my best to keep the enclosure moist. It doesn't look dehydrated to me, but I am checking it multiple times a day for the molt process but am so anxious that I will find it dead.
This is him or her below.

I guess I want reassurance that other slings have gone a month without food and thriv

Attachments

• IMG_6709.jpg
    IMG_6709.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

hollydamery

Welcome to the group. A picture of its enclosure will help us make sure everything is up to par. If it's not eating this would lead me to expect it is entering premolt. Make sure it has plenty of water to drink. They also don't like wet substrate so just keep a small area moist by the water dish for now.

I just added the water - seen in the photo - everything I read prior was that they don't need dishes yet because the get what they need from their food - but sounds very logical considering he or she is fasting - thank you.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome.

Have you already read up on what happens and how they molt? Do you know they flip upside down and all that good stuff? If yes, then good. If not, I wanted you to be prepared if you happen to check on the baby and think it is dead. Many new keepers make the fatal mistake of trying to right them when they see this for the first time.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rule #1 for first time keepers, never worry about a spider with a phat ass not eating. :D Do you see how the rear end is darkening? Thats a sure sign of premolt. Fat, dark butts mean they're going to molt. And yes your spider will be happier with a hide, dish, and plastic plants for cover. Welcome to TF:)

hollydamery

Rule #1 for first time keepers, never worry about a spider with a phat ass not eating. :D Do you see how the rear end is darkening? Thats a sure sign of premolt. Fat, dark butts mean they're going to molt. And yes your spider will be happier with a hide, dish, and plastic plants for cover. Welcome to TF:)

I just returned from getting supplies for a real hide with plants... I added a half toilet paper roll overnight and was surprised to find a successful molt!! I'll leave it undisturbed for a while before I fix the surroundings or try feeding. I'm just so glad it finally happened. I do a lot of reading and am excited to try to ID the sex from the molt... although I will hold off on any definite conclusions until I can sucessfully ID multiple molts as it grows. I will add phots if they are good enough. Thank you for the support and information. My close friends don't really enjoy hearing about my spider :T:

Attachments

• IMG_6725.jpg
    IMG_6725.jpg
    973.9 KB · Views: 5

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on the moult :)
Just keep an eye on the toilet roll tube, they can go mouldy quite quickly.

hollydamery

Congrats on the moult :)
Just keep an eye on the toilet roll tube, they can go mouldy quite quickly.

OH eww ya. I picked up this little house... I know it's overkill, but I couldn't find any wood dome-like hide small enough. I was concerned that it might have a chemical on it from the paint so I was going to wash it... It feels like some kind of ceramic... made in China... should be safe right?
Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_6732.JPG
    IMG_6732.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OH eww ya. I picked up this little house... I know it's overkill, but I couldn't find any wood dome-like hide small enough. I was concerned that it might have a chemical on it from the paint so I was going to wash it... It feels like some kind of ceramic... made in China... should be safe right?
Thanks again

That is so cute. :D
I sterilise everything in hot water just in case

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the support and information. My close friends don't really enjoy hearing about my spider :T:

You are not alone. I think most of us are familiar with that scenario.

Congrats on the successful molt! I love the little house. I have a little ceramic simulated stump for my B. boehmei:
IMG_5920.JPG