• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding new A. chalcodes

Poffypoffa

Just got my first T, an adult A. chalcodes, last weekend. According to the dealer, she last ate (crickets) on Thursday the 19th. On this Tuesday evening I rebuilt her enclosure. She was a little agitated that night, but then yesterday she was very chill--came out of her hiding space at sundown, explored a few hours, found her cave for the first time ever, and went to "bed" for the evening in her cave, where she remains today. If her schedule is consistent she'll come out again at sundown (she has done that every single night so far).

Normally I'd plan to feed her once a week. With the enclosure change am I better off waiting a few days to let her really settle in? Or is it safe to give her a chance to eat tonight? I know this is a low stakes question, just wondering what people recommend who have had similar new spider/rehoming experiences.

Here's a gratuitous photo for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As she is showing herself every day I'd go ahead and feed her. If she hasn't eaten within 24 hours remove the cricket.

GarField000

3 Year Member
I would try to feed her. If she does not take it right away you can remove it.
If it's a red runner you can leave it in for a day.

Poffypoffa

Success! She came out to drink after dark, then went right back into her cave. She's been digging in there, which I think is a good sign. I dumped in the 3 crickets and she made like a traditional ambush predator--sat with her legs poking out until one of the crickets got really, really close, then bam! Pulled it right back into the cave where she's eating now. Happy T dad!

Poffypoffa

A slo mo video for fun. Need to play with my angles and lighting next time, but you can at least see her in action! Cricket number 2. She didn't even come out for this one.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.mov
    20.1 MB

GarField000

3 Year Member
The red destroys the video :).
When i'm in the room i just turn on the lights from the room.
I don't have individual lights ore something.

Poffypoffa

The red destroys the video :).
When i'm in the room i just turn on the lights from the room.
I don't have individual lights ore something.
Ya it's a new enclosure for her and her first feeding there, so I was being extra careful not to spook her. Hopefully I can get better shot soon.

So the third cricket is still happily wandering, mostly because it just hasn't passed anywhere near her lair. The question would be, do I grab it and kind of toss or tong it close to the cave for her, or just pull it out and try again next week? She doesn't seem to be hunting outside the den anymore. I know she won't starve, no matter what. She's also still got the boluses in there as far as I can tell.

Poffypoffa

Well she finally got it, so I guess my decision has been made for me. :) This is one patient spider! She did not leap out at it until it was a centimeter away.