• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeder too large?

smallbike

3 Year Member
I got some small dubias for my smaller T’s, and meant to drop one of the smallest of the bunch in with my C. versicolor sling. Well, one of the bigger ones fell in, and Mittens, being the ambitious little thing that she(?) is, pounced immediately and has been working on subduing it for an hour. It’s bigger than she is, and I guess in the wild it probably happens, but I’m just not sure if it’ll tire her out, or she’ll eat til she’s dangerously fat or something.

I don’t think it’s getting away, I’m just worried since she’s my first and only sling. For reference, she’s a bit bigger than a quarter in legspan.

smallbike

3 Year Member
I got some small dubias for my smaller T’s, and meant to drop one of the smallest of the bunch in with my C. versicolor sling. Well, one of the bigger ones fell in, and Mittens, being the ambitious little thing that she(?) is, pounced immediately and has been working on subduing it for an hour. It’s bigger than she is, and I guess in the wild it probably happens, but I’m just not sure if it’ll tire her out, or she’ll eat til she’s dangerously fat or something.

I don’t think it’s getting away, I’m just worried since she’s my first and only sling. For reference, she’s a bit bigger than a quarter in legspan.
Clarifying that when I said the dubia is bigger, I meant body size, not legspan.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did you crush the head of the Dubia before it went in? If so then the probability is, no harm can come to you T.

Always crush the heads of Dubias, as they tend to burrow if you don't. Plus is you put the Dubia in on it's back with the head crushed, you often get a better feeding response. Dubias will live for well beyond the 24 hours you should leave them in uneaten.

smallbike

3 Year Member
Did you crush the head of the Dubia before it went in? If so then the probability is, no harm can come to you T.

Always crush the heads of Dubias, as they tend to burrow if you don't. Plus is you put the Dubia in on it's back with the head crushed, you often get a better feeding response. Dubias will live for well beyond the 24 hours you should leave them in uneaten.
I didn’t, but I’ve gotten pretty good at dropping them directly in front of the spider for a good feeding response (although yes, I’ve had some rogue dubias resurface weeks later).

My C. versicolor is by far the most brutal of my three, and had it right behind the head immediately. It does appear dead now. I guess I’ll just get another molt soon ‍♀️

Anyways, if you have some advice on crushing the head without me passing out I’ll take it! About 10 years ago I lived in a place so infested with ****roaches they let me out of my lease and there is just no way I’m ever going to be able to handle one. I seriously get chill bumps from being so grossed out when I feed my Ts.