• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do adult male T's stop eating near end-of-life?

scrible

3 Year Member
My mature male P. scrofa is now going on two months without eating. He lifts his legs up and then runs away from the feeder crickets that get close enough to touch him. I am worried due to his age that he is near end of life and has stopped eating permanently. Do adult male T's tend to stop eating when they are at their final life stages or am I doing something wrong?

Here is a video of his behavior. I filmed this a few minutes ago and about an hour after putting the 2 crickets in his enclosure. This is the first attempted feeding in a week and a half. As you can see he shows no interest in the crickets and acts as if they are bothersome.

Last edited:

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
I had a MM P. scrofa a few years back. After he molted out mature he never ate again. :( IDK if this is common, or if it was just my male. He has been the only MM that I have had.

scrible

3 Year Member
I had a MM P. scrofa a few years back. After he molted out mature he never ate again. :( IDK if this is common, or if it was just my male. He has been the only MM that I have had.

Thanks for that info. How long did he live after his mature molt? I doubt he would live much more than a year with absolutely no sustenance.

Last edited:

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
13 months if I remember right. Gosh I wish that my female scrofa was ready for a date. She's too young yet. Have you made plans to send him off on a 50/50 loan or anything?

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Thanks for that info. How long did he live after his mature molt? I doubt he would live much more than a year with absolutely no sustenance.

Now I will confuse you. I've got a MM P cambridgei that had ultimate molt 8-27-14. He has ate 3 crickets since, but never when fed, but a couple days later it is just shell. Then I have "Moses" my G porteri who is now 21 months passed ultimate (just bred him last week) and I feed him a cricket once a week. He never goes after it and when I check the next time I usually find a dead (sometimes alive) cricket, uneaten. Maybe once a month I find an eaten one. He's like a 100 year old man.

scrible

3 Year Member
Now I will confuse you. I've got a MM P cambridgei that had ultimate molt 8-27-14. He has ate 3 crickets since, but never when fed, but a couple days later it is just shell. Then I have "Moses" my G porteri who is now 21 months passed ultimate (just bred him last week) and I feed him a cricket once a week. He never goes after it and when I check the next time I usually find a dead (sometimes alive) cricket, uneaten. Maybe once a month I find an eaten one. He's like a 100 year old man.

Interesting. I will hope for the same with mine. Maybe I should leave the crickets in the enclosure for a couple of days then. I have been removing them after 24 hours.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Males don't each as much as females. Males are made to travel, which is why they're leggier. Any T getting old is going to gradually wind down and eat less and shed less often.

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Interesting. I will hope for the same with mine. Maybe I should leave the crickets in the enclosure for a couple of days then. I have been removing them after 24 hours.

Some don't like to leave them for long because adult crickets will bite a T that is molting, but if molting is not in the near future then I leave them until next feeding.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Usually mature males will eat less and less,then you get the ones that are exceptions to the rules. I like feeding roaches, I moved away from any crickets. This is just a personal choice, roaches do not bite and longevity is way way past crickets life expectancy.

I can easily leave the feeder in,and still retrieve it a few days later with no stress of finding a dead feeder like with crickets and usually they seem to commit suicide in the water bowls. I know not really suicide,but I like saying that haha.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
My mature male p metallica has only eaten 3 times in 5 months since maturing now his refusing food all together so I have a feeling the end is near for him