• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Disappearing molt?

ChandraM

3 Year Member
Ok so yes I'm a newbie but as I understand it a t has to molt in order to grow, however all my slings have gotten bigger but I can't find the molts? What's going on do they hide them? I check on them often so what's the deal?

arachnofreak666

3 Year Member
they will even sometimes hide or burry their molt when they are done. if your trying to sex your T, then you may just have to wait for the next one. look for the signs of an upcoming molt and try to catch it as it happens so that you can get the molt out before they destroy it.

ChandraM

3 Year Member
Ohh ok sneaky little things I thought I was going crazy lol I try not to disturb them much they are usually burrowed down however I do believe my L. Parahybana sling is getting ready to molt.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
T's don't eat molts. They may chew on them to suck out any remaining moisture but they don't actually eat them. They're most likely stuffed down in their burrows

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well then I suppose I'll have to wait till they get bigger so it's more than apparent that they have molted lol.
Haha,they can be pretty sneaky but that makes it loads of fun. I would go so far as to say,it's a defense or deterrent so that they are more hidden since no molt no evidence of a T and prey and predator won't know they are in the surrounding area.

arachnofreak666

3 Year Member
Well I can see there entire burrow and none there?

you wont see it because they have buried it, even though they are practically buried in their burrow already. Ts are usually very clean when it comes to there home and will burry there food when they are done with it too. some will even just throw it outside there burrow just to get it out of there. I wouldn't even try to dig for their molt because 9 times out of 10 it will be comepletely destroyed and in pieces. you said your L. Parahybana looks as though it may molt soon, so check it every morning before work or whenever you have time and it you catch in during its molt, then wait until its done and get the molt out of there ASAP. but keep in mind, you should not disturb the T even after a molt, that's when they are very fragile!

ChandraM

3 Year Member
Ok will do I usually check on them everyday the soon to molt sling has a big black spot so that's why I am assuming it's getting ready to molt hopefully I catch it

arachnofreak666

3 Year Member
Ok will do I usually check on them everyday the soon to molt sling has a big black spot so that's why I am assuming it's getting ready to molt hopefully I catch it

yeah that could indicate a pre molt. but as slings you never really know, sometimes they never really show any signs until up to a day before they molt. it all depends on the T that you are dealing with. another indicator is if the "butt" of yout T looks like its glossy or even just a bald spot. and if your trying to sex a sling molt, that may end up not being easy, it could even be pretty inaccurate.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
With a magnifying glass and bright light you can make a pretty good guess around 2", around 2.5-3 it will it should be easy with a magnifying glass and by 3+ you can generally easily sex then with without any magnification. It gets easier once you've done it a few times.

Latest posts