• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did I blow it?

Debbie

3 Year Member
Hi there, new to the forum found you on Tom's Big Spider's webpage. Unfortunately I should have looked this up before doing what I did.

Background: I inherited a Rose Hair 2 years ago, pretty sure it's a female (my roomies and I figure she could be around maybe 5 yrs old give or take). Everything has been perfect with her. She's had 1 molt since I have owned her which was pretty cool. Tonight I looked in her cage and found her on her back. Opened the top, blew on her, she moved. OK she's still alive but I figured she might be dying. This is when I went online. This is where I'm worried. On Tom's Big Spiders site, it says that just because they're on their backs doesn't mean they are dead or dying, more than likely starting a molt. The first time she molted she did so in privacy. So BEFORE I looked it up I gently turned her back over, and of course everything I'm reading now says DON'T DO ANYTHING. So now I'm worried, I blew on her and turned her over, now of course I'll leave her alone. Did I just seal her fate and so now I'm in a "hurry up and wait" I guess to see what happens. Nothing was curled she was just flat out on her back, almost seemed like she was caught up in her own web.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions, I really hope I didn't hurt anything by turning her over.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Hi there, new to the forum found you on Tom's Big Spider's webpage. Unfortunately I should have looked this up before doing what I did.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions, I really hope I didn't hurt anything by turning her over.
debbie
I'm new also, but it's been said before never blow on a spider. Yes she's ready to molt. Leave her alone- leave the room. Or take pics/movies from a distance. When they die they curl their legs under neath them. Believe me they act goofy as hell, but they're fine, on their backs.

Debbie

3 Year Member
Hi there, thanks for replying. I know NOW that I wasn't supposed to blow on her or even touch her but unfortunately I found all of that out after I had already done those 2 things. The first time she molted she did so in privacy so I didn't know she was probably on her back, she was in her hide-away and eventually pushed out the molt. So now I'm just worried that I may have screwed up and stressed her out even more, right now she's just staying put where I turned her over, obviously I'll leave her be now just hope it's not too late.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Hard to tell Debbie. There's nothing more you can do. If the molting process wasn't too advanced, she will be just fine and complete it (beware: it can take a lot of time for an adult G rosea/porteri, several hours at least). If it had already begun, either she will be able to finish it, or not and will be stuck. But there's nothing you can do but wait and leave her alone (very quiet). Keep us informed on how it goes for her!

And don't worry about what you did: these things happen. It takes time to understand the care of such weird creatures as spiders. The first time my first tarantula molted, my wife thought it had a baby (because she saw the molt + the spider inside the enclosure). But with good readings, experiences, care, questions, we learn. And improve our care.

Take heart! I really hope it's gonna be fine for your tarantula.

tapkoote

3 Year Member
I'd bet you she's fine, maybe interupted, but fine. I inturupted mine for his first molt, and he went in to his cave. Said to heck with you.
"A new guys opinion"- they're tougher than these folks think. I can't believe how these creatures get abused. Later on you'll watch vids of feeding/rehousing/molting/pulling out of their homes- etc. and be amazed what they can live through.
They're tough as nails , as long as their extoscelenton doesn't get cracked beyound repair.

Debbie

3 Year Member
Firstly, thank you guys for responding, nice to see this forum is up and running, some seem to die a slow death LOL.

As for my girl, as of right now she appears to be OK, back on her back side and there are 2 of her LOL. Shortly after I posted on here she finally moved. At first I couldn't tell which one of her was the "real her" HA HA!!, then I saw her moving, I guess I won't really know for sure how she's doing until I get up in the AM and check on her and she will be up for a well deserved meal in a couple of days after what I put her through. Well if she makes it through at least I know for the future. Don't blow, don't turn over, don't touch. Thanks again, and I'll give a final update on this drama tomorrow.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Yeah, that is a good news @Debbie. Great that she molted fine, as @tapkoote said, these creatures are tougher than what we think.

Now, all she needs is just rest. @tapkoote is absolutely right when he says: don't feed her now. As her fangs are still soft after the molt, feeding her could put her in danger (either the prey can hurt her or even kill her, or she might damage her fangs in trying to stab the prey, which would be very problematic for the future). My Grammostola rosea, which is about 5 years old too and is 5-6cm body length, wait at least two weeks before her first post molt meal. Sometimes more (my big adults tarantulas can wait one month before eating again). My advice would be: try to give her a cricket in two weeks (around the 22th of june). If she doesn't take it after a few hours, take it out and try giving her the cricket again after one more week.

Give us update about your drama, post pictures (we love pictures!), and don't hesitate to ask questions. Lots of nice people around here!

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Valuable lesson learned, glad she's ok. Just had 3 of mine molt this week, one of which had me nervous yesterday, my Lp was on her back for atleast 12 hours before she started to come out, usually only takes her a hour or two so feared she was stuck but remained calm and sure enough she's out this morning.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome Debbie! So happy your T is alright. I'm grateful you didn't post your misadventure on the "other" site. Someone 3-4 months ago made the same mistake and asked for help. 3 days later you could drive a truck up her bung-hole. Much nicer, more helpful, friendly people over here.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Welcome to TF, and congrats on realizing your mistake and researching it. When I was a kid, the first time I saw my hamster with its cheeks packed, I tried getting the food out. I thought it was choking. -.- Thankfully she was tolerant and didnt bite my finger off..
lol years ago (I'm guessing 8 or 9 years ago) I had a hamster escape from it's cage one of it's tunnels came loose and the next day I saw it coming out of the closet and both cheeks were tube shaped.. I thought it developed some nasty tumors or something so I cautiously returner her to the cage and she took one of the "tumors" out lol.. it was close to easter and it got into the candy and shoved some candy eggs on both sides and I felt like a moron for being scared of a hamster doing hamster things lol

Debbie

3 Year Member
Hey Everyone, I just realized that I just jumped right into this forum without a real introduction,and went right into my situation. Well I guess I did a little introducing of myself LOL But I do appreciate the welcomes, advice and encouragement. My girl appears to be fine today, moves around a little bit, still on the dark side. Next post, I'll probably be looking for your opinions on something and I suspect you guys will tell me what I'm already thinking. Talk to you all in a day or so :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hey Everyone, I just realized that I just jumped right into this forum without a real introduction,and went right into my situation. Well I guess I did a little introducing of myself LOL But I do appreciate the welcomes, advice and encouragement. My girl appears to be fine today, moves around a little bit, still on the dark side. Next post, I'll probably be looking for your opinions on something and I suspect you guys will tell me what I'm already thinking. Talk to you all in a day or so :)

We're a very friendly bunch here and all remember what it's like to be a newbie so don't be afraid to ask questions :)

Latest posts