• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleaning poop on the walls

TheJuicyFruit

3 Year Member
My T almost ALWAYS poops on the walls of her enclosure, close to the ground. It's a nightmare to clean, especially by her den because she has it set up weird. Is it absolutely necessary to clean the poop she sticks to the wall, if so, how often, and whats an easy way? Currently I use q tips, alternate wet and dry to try to scrub it out with distilled water. I pick up what I can with the tongs, but that's almost never possible.

EDIT: She's terrestrial btw

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
is it in its forever home? Or is it a juvie still growing?

Obviously if its a forever home it will need to be cleaned sometime.
If it'll be rehoused I usually wait until rehousing then dump old container, and wash for a new arrival.

that poop is pretty dry its not going to cause any major risk unless it gets to a condemned status.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I use a foam paint brush, available at most DIY centers, 1" wide works well. All my maintenance is done early in the morning since they've been up all night doing their T things. They are less likely to bolt or get defensive at this time of day.

Lady_A

3 Year Member
I use a foam paint brush, available at most DIY centers, 1" wide works well. All my maintenance is done early in the morning since they've been up all night doing their T things. They are less likely to bolt or get defensive at this time of day.
Lol, I tried doing that same thing with my rosie...every time I do any spot cleaning in the A.M. she runs to the mouth of her hide, & does this leg wave. Almost like she's saying in her T way, "HEY! Do you know what time it is, you jerk??" If I clean in the evenings, she leisurely walks to her hide until I'm done intruding.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lucky for you it's not an arboreal. My pokies, psalmos, and Avics do this so often that it's hard to see through the glass. I have an Ephebopus murinus who does this a lot too. I honestly don't even bother cleaning it anymore because it's nearly impossible to get off one Its dry. Even if I try using a moist rag or paper towel, it just smears and then looks even worse.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
I use a magnetic device, often used for fish tanks, to clean. I managed to find one not much larger than my thumb and bought two bigger than that. I use some hot water on that sponge that is doing the actual cleaning, this works like a charm in most instances and allows me to keep the enclosure closed while doing so.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This topic is one of the biggest reasons that glass enclosures are better than acrylic. You need to be careful that you do not scratch the plastic or the acrylic tanks. I am going to try the sponge paint brush idea above.

spiderdobiesmom

I'm new to keeping T's. I have a curly hair T- it has done its business on the wall like some mention but he's dug himself a tunnel down into a 5-ish inch deep substrate and I don't know if I should dig down to clean it or leave it. He's always down in there and I don't want to cause any unneeded stress.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm new to keeping T's. I have a curly hair T- it has done its business on the wall like some mention but he's dug himself a tunnel down into a 5-ish inch deep substrate and I don't know if I should dig down to clean it or leave it. He's always down in there and I don't want to cause any unneeded stress.
No need to dig down to clean. Only spot clean on the surface.

Latest posts