• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Building from scratch.

bookac

3 Year Member
Oh that's nice lookin!

Love the vent holes along the sides - just make sure they're smaller than crickets. Had a small acrylic top on a glass cage with drilled holes, but they were bigger than adult crickets. Didn't lose any, but had to make a new lid.

And I agree on the height, but I'd only reduce it by an inch or two, depending on final measurements.

Not sure for a top, but avoid any cross-mesh screen, like for windows. The cross-mesh allows little tarsal claws to get stuck in a bad way. Go with "rat-wire" or dipped mesh for a more durable (and prettier) looking mesh - if you go mesh. I'd think a glass lid with hinge, with the same kind of vent holes - but fewer, maybe only one row - would look awesome on the tank!

Nice 3D skills! All I know how to model is frustration. :)

Thank you :) I think i will go with acrylic top lid with few holes as you said.

And for the holes they are 0.5 cm, and they are almost 4cm above the substrate.. And also my dubia roaches are full matures, so they will not have a chance to go through :)

And for the 3D skill, keep practice :)

Thanks again for the the suggestions :)

bookac

3 Year Member
I send today this concept in a glass company, and they said to me that this is really unpracticed way of making glass, and if the glass did not break throught the proccess of drilling the holes, its probably going to break afterwards.

So I am going with plexi glass ( acrylic ) terrarium.. :/

edgeofthefreak

3 Year Member
I send today this concept in a glass company, and they said to me that this is really unpracticed way of making glass, and if the glass did not break throught the proccess of drilling the holes, its probably going to break afterwards.

So I am going with plexi glass ( acrylic ) terrarium.. :/

Really? That seems a bit extreme. My office has glass walls/doors with hinges and such. Surely glass can be drilled, and I would think with small holes like you want...

But honestly, I haven't ventured into glass drilling yet, only acrylic. If I were you, I'd ignore the busybody above that posted negative things about acrylic earlier on, and just make the awesome tank you want. :)

Would you have a shop cut and drill the acrylic for you?

bookac

3 Year Member
Really? That seems a bit extreme. My office has glass walls/doors with hinges and such. Surely glass can be drilled, and I would think with small holes like you want...

But honestly, I haven't ventured into glass drilling yet, only acrylic. If I were you, I'd ignore the busybody above that posted negative things about acrylic earlier on, and just make the awesome tank you want. :)

Would you have a shop cut and drill the acrylic for you?
Yes, they can even glue the acrylic to make the box :).. firstly my idea was to make it from acrylic, but you kinda woried me with your post :) but I am going to keep my eye on the enclousure :)

edgeofthefreak

3 Year Member
Yes, they can even glue the acrylic to make the box :).. firstly my idea was to make it from acrylic, but you kinda woried me with your post :) but I am going to keep my eye on the enclousure :)

Honestly, it was just meant as a caution. I think you'll love your new enclosure. And I'll love seeing photos of it coming to life! If you get it professionally assembled, it's gonna look so pro! :)

bookac

3 Year Member
Honestly, it was just meant as a caution. I think you'll love your new enclosure. And I'll love seeing photos of it coming to life! If you get it professionally assembled, it's gonna look so pro! :)

Yes yes, dont worry :) Thats nice information to keep in mind :) I think it will be professionally assembled.. :) i will post this evening new update for the terrarium..

bookac

3 Year Member
This is what i came up with for the top lid.. I think its similar to other enclousures, but i think is really practiced like this, and easy to maintance..
I just need to find somehow to lock the lid, and i think this is it :)

TKjA23n.jpg

bEupcGd.jpg

edgeofthefreak

3 Year Member
Ahhh! That's a sweet lid! Love the three different doors it has.

Look up acrylic hasps and hinges for lock ideas. Some can even have a real lock. Which you should try to find a clear acrylic lock for it, if you can. :)