• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bug Out on IMDB

Jeef

3 Year Member
Thought I'd toss this out there for anyone who might stumble across it.

Just checked out a show called "Bug Out" on the IMDB channel. It was just ok.

It is a 5 part docudrama about a $40,000 bug theft from an insect museum in Philadelphia PA.

It is told in a manner that withholds a few bits that make the story look a particular way until the big reveal at the end. Kinda like a M. Knight Shyamalan movie. Right from the get-go there are things that don't make any sense as a result of that.

Right off the bat I was wondering how do you fence $40,000 of stolen insects? That was what made me watch.

What was cool was they spent some time on the illegal bug trade. They talked about brown boxing and stuff that goes on at expos. The whole series could have been about that and I would have been happy. One person at the museum managed to get their hands on a giant African land snail! I'd loved a bit more detail on how that happened!

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to compare it to Tiger King except with bugs. It is definitely more about personalities than it is the bug hobby. I'm not sorry I watched it, but I wouldn't call it mandatory.

Latest posts