• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginners substrate

WolfieKate

Hello, newbie question.

So in my kit I got a block of Terra Spider. (Coconut/Coir fibre). It says mix with water and then dry to correct humidity. My GBB likes it dry or a bit moist if it’s burrowing. But do I a) wet it and dry it out, b) use it as it is as it’s already dry or c) wet and it and dry it in the oven as some blogs suggest. How can something so simple be so complicated.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You need to wet the block to break it up. Once wet spread it out on a tray and leave it on a sunny window sill or in the oven on low, keep stirring it to speed up the drying process.
It sounds complicated but it works.

WolfieKate

You need to wet the block to break it up. Once wet spread it out on a tray and leave it on a sunny window sill or in the oven on low, keep stirring it to speed up the drying process.
Thank you! Great instructions. Got it. I know it seemed a bit obvious but I wasn’t sure.

WolfieKate

add half Reptisoil which creates a more natural environment - straight coconut fiber is really old school and super dry ( all T's need some humidity whether desert of jungle species) coconut fiber stays dried out too much as a standalone. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisoil-reptile-soil-10-qt/dp/257682?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18806583589&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqNqkBhDlARIsAFaxvwyIBrEwTu99yjN2gBgdYiL4kfi5CRbSun1mPAn6TGzzaPxkJjV4Hk4aAsaSEALw_wcB
Thank you. I did read that very arid is not ideal. I watched Dave on you tube rehouse his GBB. And as a gardener im not a fan of coconut fibre as it is super dry and dusty. I will see what i can get before she arrives Tuesday. My husband has offered to upgrade my kit to something a bit nicer so i’ll remind him.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

As above. But if it looks very wet, I sometimes find it best to squeeze handfuls into a fine mesh, kitchen strainer first to allow the worst of the water to drain out. Before I leave it to dry.

And if you want some more Coir fibre, poundland sells it for guess what? Yep a pound. I have at least a dozen blocks sitting in a cupboard. If you want some from poundland look in the gardening area.

https://www.poundshop.com/compressed-coco-soil.html

Latest posts