• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia sp Blue Velvet New Molt

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Kumaka.......................:):T:
20170427_152004.jpg
20170427_152123.jpg
20170427_152213.jpg
20170427_152223.jpg
20170428_121650.jpg
20170428_121711.jpg
20170428_121743.jpg
20170428_121820.jpg

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
I have a 2yr old female of this species, How has the growth rate been for you?
I cant find much info for them. they seem to be a very small Avic? My girl is only 3.5-4" after 2 yrs.
she eats and molts regularly but doesn't seem to grow much between molts.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cant find much info for them. they seem to be a very small Avic? My girl is only 3.5-4" after 2 yrs.
I`ve found it to be quite slow, Kumaka is around the 1.5", I got Kumaka end of July last year as a 1cm Sling.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
I`ve found it to be quite slow, Kumaka is around the 1.5", I got Kumaka end of July last year as a 1cm Sling.

It will be good to see if Kumaka's growth rate is similar to mine.
I received "Tiny Dancer" on 05/2015 at about 1/4-1/3" she has molted 9 times in just short of two years and is still under 4". I dont name most of my 125+ T's but this little girl has a spot in my heart.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It will be good to see if Kumaka's growth rate is similar to mine.
I received "Tiny Dancer" on 05/2015 at about 1/4-1/3" she has molted 9 times in just short of two years and is still under 4". I dont name most of my 125+ T's but this little girl has a spot in my heart.
I`ve got a Little Purpurea "Plum" that`s done the same with me, I hand feed it, gets all excited when I approach the Tank, so gentle when it takes the food. Kumaka has had 5 molts since arriving last July.:):T:

CEC

3 Year Member

For more info look up Avicularia avicularia. lol Avicularia sp. "Blue Velvet" is just a silly pet trade name. ;)

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great, so what you`re saying is Sp Blue Velvet is just a normal Avicularia avicularia, so that means Traders and T shops in UK are conning people into thinking it`s a different sp of Avic.

CEC

3 Year Member
Great, so what you`re saying is Sp Blue Velvet is just a normal Avicularia avicularia, so that means Traders and T shops in UK are conning people into thinking it`s a different sp of Avic.

Not exactly, before the revision it could only be assumed it was a form of Avicularia avicularia, so they named it as if they were a separate species, just in case it was. Now with locality data and many morphotype descriptions, I have to conclude they're one of the many locality variants of Avicularia avicularia.
All those Avicularia avicularia look alikes considered nomen dubium or labeled by locality or trade name; geroldi, braunshauseni, azuraklaasi, sp. kwitara river, metallica, sp. Bolivia etc... All variants of an Avicularia avicularia morphotype.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is different about hobby Avicularia avicularia vs. sp. Blue Velvet? Besides minor color differences?

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not exactly, before the revision it could only be assumed it was a form of Avicularia avicularia, so they named it as if they were a separate species, just in case it was. Now with locality data and many morphotype descriptions, I have to conclude they're one of the many locality variants of Avicularia avicularia.
All those Avicularia avicularia look alikes considered nomen dubium or labeled by locality or trade name; geroldi, braunshauseni, azuraklaasi, sp. kwitara river, metallica, sp. Bolivia etc... All variants of an Avicularia avicularia morphotype.

Can anyone tell me what exactly is different about hobby Avicularia avicularia vs. sp. Blue Velvet? Besides minor color differences?
Ah ! I see.
What`s your take on Avic sp Santa Mission Moon light, this is one sp of Avic I really want.
There`s a Guy over in Germany , who has this sp from time to time, infact He has the best selection of Avics I have found online so far.
https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...://www.spiderattack.de/?page_id=863&sandbox=1

Latest posts