• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SwinginSwalym

Hey there! I am just starting out my journey into tarantula keeping and I'm not sure what size of a tank to get. The spider I'm getting is an Avicularia Purpurea, hopefully female, so the leg span will be around 5". I have seen a lot of enclosures that are 8"W 8"L 12"H and i was wondering if that would be big enough for a tarantula that size? If you know or have a Avicularia yourself I would love to hear your experience and discoveries. Thank you so much!

JACEY

Welcome I've had 3 AvicAvics
One 3in sling currently. This has been the mist temperamental of them all. It appears to take extra long for them to settle into their homes and start webbing making it home. The first one I kept changing the enclosure size and it appeared very upset depressed even and then it died. Sigh. The senior female I got that was a surrender of a collector retiring. She didn't settle in for 5 months before she webbed and molted. And seemed to decline due to age. She also seemed to sulk when I made changes.
As for size. My little one has settled into its 5x7 webbing nicely and eating really well showing its comfort, to me.
I have a large arboreal zilla prorated prepared (passed down from senior) it'll be 6 months to a year before I'll move it. When is about 5 inches. Well good luck

Google: Avicularia Avicularia husbandry.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
That enclosure size should be fine , I have a couple of C.versicolor and think ventilation is key .

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have seen a lot of enclosures that are 8"W 8"L 12"H and i was wondering if that would be big enough.

We keep most of our arboreals in an enclosure about that size. I prefer acrylic enclosures, as I like to add extra side ventilation, normally 3 holes on each side, one just above the substrate level, one just below the lid & one in the middle.

Don't forget to get a bark tube & some artificial vine / ivy. Wrap the vine around the bark, to give plenty of cover.

Latest posts