• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Australian species?

SmallDent

Hello, although I am not new to the hobby I am new to the forum. I will be moving to Australia next year to be closer to family, unfortunately I will have to rehome my Ts to other hobbyists here (friends)

Though I would not like to leave the hobby behind entirely, I know of Australia’s strict import and export rules for animals so I know I will most probably only able to own Australian species there. I am not too familiar with them and would like to get more information on what would be available to me.

I know Australian species are pretty tricky in terms of temperament and venom potency. I own a bunch of arboreals and old worlds so I am not too foreign to speed. Some of the Ts I currently own are pokies, psalms, and baboons. So I would like to know what to expect from the australian Ts

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a couple of Selenocosmia crassipes, which are Barking Spiders or Whistling spiders & which come from Australia. Their venom is very potent on dogs & has been known to kill an Australian Shepherd dog is as little as 45 minutes. But it's venom is no worse on a human than any other tarantulas.

My crassipies are fairly chilled & much prefer running for cover at the first sign of human movement than threatening us.

They are a gorgeous silky brown colour, are often out on show. I keep mine in deep substrate, as both are prolific burrowers.

Latest posts