• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arizona blonde hanging upside down

hernan78988

I have had him for about 1 month now. I put him in a new tank because I learned he needed more substrate to burrow. Now he’s been hanging upside down for a while. Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_9577.jpeg
    IMG_9577.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9578.jpeg
    IMG_9578.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It may be that he's hooked in the mesh.
My suggestion would be to put a catch cup over him and gently touch his toes from the outside to encourage him to move, the catch cup will save him from falling and you can lower him back onto the substrate.

hernan78988

It may be that he's hooked in the mesh.
My suggestion would be to put a catch cup over him and gently touch his toes from the outside to encourage him to move, the catch cup will save him from falling and you can lower him back onto the substrate.
I was able to get him down but he just went right back up. I used coco fiber in this enclosure, could it be possible he doesn’t like that with the moss? Thank you for your help by the way.

GarField000

3 Year Member
What I notice with almost every spider I rehouse .....
They don't want to sit on the new substrate.
I always create atleast a week before the rehouse a new enclosure and leave the doors open so the top layer can dry out ... but still atleast a week they don't want to sit on the ground.
As he does not have much else to sit on top off, she's going to the top.
So leave the substrate as it is, maybe put something in there whe she can sit on like a cork bark or something. In time she will go on the ground.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
I have had him for about 1 month now. I put him in a new tank because I learned he needed more substrate to burrow. Now he’s been hanging upside down for a while. Is this normal?

The majority of captive tarantulas do not burrow when kept in cages, regardless of how thick you keep the substrate. The two clear exceptions to this general rule are cobalt blue tarantulas, and king baboon tarantulas. There may be others that I don't know about. And regardless of rules we try to establish, tarantulas never read the memos, and there are always sporadic exceptions. Arizona blondes (also called Tucson blondes, and scientifically known as Aphonopelma chalcodes) are definitely on the non-burrowing list, although they do appreciate something to use as a "hide," like part of an empty coconut shell or other ornament.

In closely examining your photos, I noticed several things that are highly questionable in your caging. First, is that a live philodendron or a plastic one in your tarantula's cage? If it's live, get rid of it! I never cease to be amazed at people who try to keep jungle plants in the cages of desert tarantulas. :oops:

And then, it appears that you're either using a layer of damp potting soil under the coco fiber, or you're keeping the coco fiber wet. Arizona blondes are desert tarantulas. They positively HATE wet feet!

Lastly, tarantulas in general detest fluffy or loose substrates. (Are tarantulas capable of either "hate," or "detest?") Not only does this include moss, but also coco fiber that's too granular or actually composed of chunks. Most seem to be much "happier" on firmly packed, but not necessarily rock hard, substrates. (And for that matter, can tarantulas be "happy?" I've never heard one giggle or laugh!) Of course, this doesn't include the obligatory arboreal species (e.g., Avicularia) or that most interesting species that lives at 14,700 feet elevation on the rock scree of the Cordillera Vilcanota in Peru. (I don't know it's scientific name, but might be able to find it if anyone is interested.)

My suggestion is that you empty that cage, dry it out, and set it up as a desert habitat with a substrate that packs well, plastic plants if you absolutely insist on having that stuff in there, and a rather shallow water dish. Keep the cage pretty much bone dry...just like around Tucson, Arizona!

I'd written a small webpage about substrates in a tarantula's cage, but somehow it got lost in the transfer of my website from one host to another. I and a friend are working on resurrecting it now. When we get it back up again, I'll post a notice as another reply here.

Be kind to your newfound little buddy!

Stan

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
BTW, I did some "photoshopping" on your photo (img_9578.jpeg), and I'm pretty sure (80% or more) that "him/he" (sic) is really a "her/she." Congratulations.

Stan

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
The webpage that I referred to in one of my previous postings is now up and running at Substrate. You should definitely visit that link, and read and heed it.

In fact, after reading that page, it might not be a bad idea for you to go back up to the home page of the Spider's Calgary website, and at least thumb through the various subsidiary webpages, reading any that attract your attention.

Best of luck with your newfound little buddy!

Stan

P.S.: The attached photos are of A. chalcodes. One illustrates a female laying eggs. Another illustrates the same female brooding her eggsac. The last one illustrates the marked difference in appearance between a sub-adult and an adult male of the species. This last pair of photos are of the same individual, but taken about a year apart.

Attachments

• AchalcodesEggsac-0130.jpg
    AchalcodesEggsac-0130.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 3
  • A-chalcodes-Eggsac-0430.jpg
    A-chalcodes-Eggsac-0430.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 4
  • A-chalcodesMale-0130.jpg
    A-chalcodesMale-0130.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts