• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are there tarantula sellers near Mobile Alabama.

Nurse Ratchet

The "Pet Supermarket" near my house offered to order me tarantulas if I want another and I could pick up in store. They didn't do so well selling the tarantulas they got in Sept for Halloween and took kindly to the suggestion to advertise "tarantulas available on request" instead of restocking. They said they get them from a breeder, not WC. But are of course limited to whatever is available to them no shipping costs for the buyers. Mb ask your local pet shop for a similar deal?

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
the tarantulas they got in Sept for Halloween

That comes across like a supremely bad idea. Here in the UK the Dog's Trust charity popularised the saying 'a dog is for life, not just for Christmas', because of all the gift pups that get abandoned when the festive novelty wears off. Maybe also, 'a tarantula is for life, not just for Halloween'?

"tarantulas available on request" instead of restocking.

Sounds like a much better option for pet supermarkets, at any time of year.

(Also, rollerblading, skating and kitesurfing sounds like a lot)

Nurse Ratchet

Honestly I wish all the pet chains would advertise all their reptiles/amphibians/invertebrates as available on request. It would cut back on impulse pet buying. The consumers would have time to research and set up/ prepare properly while awaiting their pet. And it would save the pets from waiting in less than ideal conditions. But only one of the three pet shops I spoke with seemed to even want to hear my suggestion.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Honestly I wish all the pet chains would advertise all their reptiles/amphibians/invertebrates as available on request. It would cut back on impulse pet buying. The consumers would have time to research and set up/ prepare properly while awaiting their pet. And it would save the pets from waiting in less than ideal conditions. But only one of the three pet shops I spoke with seemed to even want to hear my suggestion.
The local pet store I deal with told me 90% of their tarantula purchases are impulse buys by neophytes. They also sell basic and ore hardy species.

Nurse Ratchet

Yeah. PetSmart and Petco were the other two I talked to. Pet Supermarket by me is really small in comparison, but 4 of their employees, one a former T owner, were all ears. I haven't looked up the real names, but I was offered a " skeleton leg," " pink toe," " flame leg," or "curly" they were sure they could get.