• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arboreal vs. Terrestrial?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I'm wondering if arboreals are more difficult to keep and care for than terrestrials. Does the fact that they require a totally different cage set-up (like taller and with something to climb on) make them more complicated? Anything else you can tell me about them is also greatly appreciated. :) Thanks a lot, everyone!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In a lot of ways the diff is just the enclosure. Some are more difficult, but as a whole they're no more difficult then Tr

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
I don't own any arboreal, but from seeing other people who have had problems with arboreal it seems the real thing is making sure their is adequate ventilation. as long as that is provided then they really are not that difficult compared to terristrial, but I could be wrong.

pennpets

3 Year Member
Humidity and ventilation are a big concern with many arboreals, as they typically live in a semi-tropical to tropical environment. Speed and climbing are another difference from terrestrials. My A. metallica and A. avicularia are flighty spiders... many try to make a break for it whenever I feed/water them. Of course they are still settling into their homes until I find owners for them.

tylerawr

3 Year Member
I don't own any arboreals so I really can't talk from experience, but from what I've read they often require more humidity like pennpets said. Terrestrial T's are often desert/scrubland species, so they tend to be more hardy.

pennpets

3 Year Member
Speed is a big difference...The aboreals will smoke the terrestrials in a 100m dash any day

of course there are exceptions to that rule: P. murinus, or OBT, is technically a terrestrial species, but thos spiders are the fastest I have ever personally seen.

pennpets

3 Year Member
I like just about every T I have encountered. They both have good and bad points. I think it boils down to preference. *shrug* Almost the same as which car do you like better? (am not asking that question would get me in a world of hurt...lol)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's the great ting about keeping T's...even keeping the same species can be different for each T...Each have their own personality
haha, and this is exactly why i dont have any Arboreals. Lol Im scared enough as it is with my B. Emilia, lol
If i wasnt such a scaredy cat i'd have an arboreal.

Yup, our Avic can be quick if she wants to be...but she's mostly pretty calm and chooses just to calmly hang out when I'm in doing maintenance. Our Rosie is by far the most territorial, and she's fast when she detects any disturbance/movement in her tank...no pet rock with her lol

pennpets

3 Year Member
of course there are exceptions to that rule: P. murinus, or OBT, is technically a terrestrial species, but thos spiders are the fastest I have ever personally seen.​
The ones I have seen in the wild were arboreal.

I based my statement on the behavior of the two P. murinus I currently have, after a bit more research I found that most sources consider the OBT a "semi-arboreal" due to their habit of burrowing. My two show very little interest in climbing in their enclosures. This may be due to the fact they are still juveniles. Still no matter what, I can't think of another T that I have personally seen that is faster.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I based my statement on the behavior of the two P. murinus I currently have, after a bit more research I found that most sources consider the OBT a "semi-arboreal" due to their habit of burrowing. My two show very little interest in climbing in their enclosures. This may be due to the fact they are still juveniles. Still no matter what, I can't think of another T that I have personally seen that is faster.
I definitely agree! Our P.murinus definitely doesn't climb much at all (especially after her re-house), but I can't even describe her speed. People aren't joking about the 'teleportation' description...but until you see it, you can't even put it into words lol.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Honestly one is not harder to care for than the other. Be it a tall or long enclosure it's all the same. I'd say that Arboreals in 40 dram vials are hard to care for because they always seem to web to the top of the enclosure lol. But other then that, they all find their food okay, no real difference.

Latest posts