• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advise

izzp99

Which of these would be better for an adult tarantula, curlyhair and a whiteknee tarantula. One is acrylic the other glass. I'm worried that the glass one won't have enough ventilation

1000025595.jpg
1000025596.jpg

GarField000

3 Year Member
The glas one looks like it has a top screen/mesh or how it's called like an Exo-Terra.
That's not a good option. They could get stuck it with their toes.

Me personal don't like acrylic, but that's personal.
I have glas made at my personal wanted size and holes, or the standard exo-terra mini wide where I add other tops in.

spiderdobiesmom

The glas one looks like it has a top screen/mesh or how it's called like an Exo-Terra.
That's not a good option. They could get stuck it with their toes.

Me personal don't like acrylic, but that's personal.
I have glas made at my personal wanted size and holes, or the standard exo-terra mini wide where I add other tops in.
Something I've been curious about with these for I've read a lot about how Ts could get stuck (I just bought an exo-terra because of price convenience) do many T's climb all the way up onto the lid where they would be hanging upside down? Mine has crawled up the side. wondering how urgent if need be, to look into an acrylic replacement lid.
I have a Curly Hair tarantula, which seems to be reasonably young but by no means a sling or spiderling. I am new to the hobby and want to gain as much information as possible! Thanks.

izzp99

Something I've been curious about with these for I've read a lot about how Ts could get stuck (I just bought an exo-terra because of price convenience) do many T's climb all the way up onto the lid where they would be hanging upside down? Mine has crawled up the side. wondering how urgent if need be, to look into an acrylic replacement lid.
I have a Curly Hair tarantula, which seems to be reasonably young but by no means a sling or spiderling. I am new to the hobby and want to gain as much information as possible! Thanks.
Hey just to respond to this, I've personally never kept a T in an exo terra because of what I've heard about there being a possibly of the T getting stuck if they climb onto the mesh. I did however want to say that my curlyahair got stuck in her current enclosure because she climbed up so high. The enclosure has a plastic lid with a weirdly patterned ventilation. I thankfully managed to push her leg out gently but it was quite a scary situation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108_155755_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_155755_Gallery.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 3

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First. Not all mesh lids are equal. We know that some people have had issues with the mesh on Exo-Terra's, but not all mesh, has the same sized holes. And it is the size of the holes, which causes the issues.

I have a couple of Exo Terra enclosures in use, with no change of lid & have had no issues. But I do not doubt the validity of others experiences & do not keep climbers in Exo-Terra enclosures.

Replacing a mesh lid should not be a big issue. Simply use hot glue to hold the replacement. The biggest issue is drilling the acrylic. Don't use a new drill, or an old drill. Both are more than capable of cracking acrylic. The best method is to use a new HSS drill bit & then simply use it to drill a few holes into some scrap wood, before using it on the acrylic. You could take the edges off the new drill with Emery Cloth. But scrap wood does the method every time, no doubts. When drilling acrylic always use masking tape to mark the position of holes on & then drill through that. It helps to stop the drill grabbing the acrylic & cracking it. It also helps a little, or does no harm, if you put masking tape on the bottom of the hole too.

GarField000

3 Year Member
Sorry for late response, had a busy week.

But I always thought the mesh thing will not be a big problem. You hardly hear people about it.
I bought 24 second hand exo-terra and was getting them ready for some rehouses I needed to do badly.
I rehouse 6. Exactly 2 days later my B.klaasi was dangling on one foot. I took a cloth to lift her up and she was loose again. It scared me so I directly bought 24 replacement acrylic on the correct size. They where not expensive, but if I wanted the holes already it was so much more. from € 2,56 with no holes to € 9,78 with holes. So I ordered without holes. The next day the B.klaasi did dangle on the top AGAIN. The other 5 no problem. I was lucky I could unstuck her again without a problem. The next day the acrylic was deliverd.
They where proteced with plastic I could remove. I first measured the holes and drilled 3/4 off the acryl with holes. After that I used it as a mold to drill the other ones. Put a peace off wood under it and let the drill do it's work .. don't push to hard.

Meanwhile I did 20 and still have 4 to do but no spiders to put in them :D.

Latest posts