• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Abdominal Growth on Wolf Spider

Avicularia Kael

9EF3D552-275A-4484-85B9-B90B4A7403E4.jpeg

It started as a discoloration but turned into what you see above. Any ideas? I have had her for a while and I don’t want her to die.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is she eating? Any chance she is gravid? How old? I agree: She is magnificent, but I have nothing else to offer. I hope she is OK.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
maybe double clutch if she dropped the last one?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you would've picked the egg sac up and put it in the enclosure with her, she may have picked it back up again and cared for it. If that area has grown, it may be a parasite.

Unfortunately :( that looks like a parasitic infection, and has she always had that much fecal matter on the rear of her abdomen? If not then the parasites could be causing impaction.

Avicularia Kael

Unfortunately :( that looks like a parasitic infection, and has she always had that much fecal matter on the rear of her abdomen? If not then the parasites could be causing impaction.
If you mean the white stuff at the end, that is new I think. I have a feeling you are right about it causing impaction.

MBullock

3 Year Member
could be egg-bound, happens sometimes if a few ova are stuck together, stopping the spider from laying eggs. Could've also been carrying a small-headed fly inside her, those stay dormant until the spider's maturity.

Avicularia Kael

could be egg-bound, happens sometimes if a few ova are stuck together, stopping the spider from laying eggs. Could've also been carrying a small-headed fly inside her, those stay dormant until the spider's maturity.
The bulge has now grown much larger. I am guessing it is some sort of parasite. There is also some sort of wound on top of it now. I'm not sure what it is. She has also refused food.

Avicularia Kael

Could those white dots actually be eggs inside of her? You can also see the wound which has almost a sap looking substance on it. They are too big to be the mites I found in the last update.