• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. geniculata advice

Will25

3 Year Member
Hey Guys
So for the past 3 weeks my White knee has been acting really strange. He wil climb up his enclosure all day and stretch his fangs trying to open the lid.
He is about 1 year old and has always been very calm an would just chill in his nest. But he is honestly acting like a wild caught tarantula that i just threw in a cage. He looks like he really wants to get out. But when i open the lid he wil just sit on the lip of the cage until i close it again? He his also more skittish than ussual..what could be wrong?

Fleas

3 Year Member
Who knows what he's trying to do my E sp reds always climbing checking out the enclosure trying to dig through a ventilation hole when I open the lid they start trying to escape lol lil bugger's:)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with the above. Some spiders are natural Houdinis or at least try to be. My B.Boehmei is constantly digging around his vents (which thankfully are stronger metal ones) and sticking his fangs into them. Yet, when I open his tub he doesn't try to run.
Also, are you sure he's only a year old? Reason, I ask is that mature males often become more unsettled and start looking for females.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is he due for a molt? Occasionally you will see strange behavior from them when they're in premolt. If it's really unusual behavior for him, you might check for mites as well, or mold. Or has it become more dry or humid in the room he's in? Sometimes that will cause unrest, if they don't like the change. When it gets really humid here my dry species do not like it at all, and start climbing to ventilation holes. And my geniculatas, well they both feel like they're frogs apparently, the wetter the better...If I let them get too dry they'll crawl into their waterdish and sit in it. It could also be typical harmless unexplained behavior that spiders sometimes exhibit.

Will25

3 Year Member
I agree with the above. Some spiders are natural Houdinis or at least try to be. My B.Boehmei is constantly digging around his vents (which thankfully are stronger metal ones) and sticking his fangs into them. Yet, when I open his tub he doesn't try to run.
Also, are you sure he's only a year old? Reason, I ask is that mature males often become more unsettled and start looking for females.
He is around 1 year old... i bought him last year november and then he was super tiny! But lets hope its just normal behaviour!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hopefully it's not a screen lid. They can easily chew through those.

Will25

3 Year Member
20151011_130028.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like a male that could mature at any time..but I've been fooled before. If it IS a male, it's got at least one molt left, there's no tibial hooks and his pedipalps aren't bulbous. It's quite possible it's a leggy female, but I don't think so, at all. 13 months old...leggy and big...that screams male. My little 2 inch female is a very slow grower. She's around the same age as your male.... I'd say the next molt will tell you for sure. I hate guessing though, some of these spiders can make a fool of me. Sexing by way of the molt is the best way to do it. But guessing, I'd say I'm 95% sure its a male fixing to hook out.