• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few of my legs ....

Spinnerets

3 Year Member
IMG_382334880949394.jpeg

Spinnerets

3 Year Member
Very keen to be out we take these to school's and handle them around children ... My own daughter handles her pulchra / as always they have moody days but we have various size and sexes and never seen them display any signs of defensive behaviour
:)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very keen to be out we take these to school's and handle them around children ... My own daughter handles her pulchra / as always they have moody days but we have various size and sexes and never seen them display any signs of defensive behaviour
:)
I am planning a similar thing, going to schools changing the perception. Also educating children if buying what to start with, I think if we start at the bottom we could stop a lot of problems in the future. Kids are manipulated by people on what to buy, most cases wrong advice. So hopefully I could make a tiny change, and more will follow in this. Growing our hobby, and awareness. Like I have very docile specimens, like my chaco female, she always spins when I pick her up. There hasn't been one occasion, where didn't exhibit this behavior even with other people. Also have others, and my avics.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Yea more peopke need to know they are not as bad as most people think. Ive got to take mine to my daughters play school in the sumner cos alk she talks about and draws is spiders so the teachers said it would be good if i could bring them in and show the children

Spinnerets

3 Year Member
Education on tarantulas is the best thing / once you hear some of the questions you will realise most children think a tarantula can eat off your face :-\ We have found most schools will agree to half hour class room discussion and a show and tell... we have insurance here for handling never had a bad experience :) :)

jon ross

3 Year Member
Tha
I am a teacher and take my T's to school at least once every second term. And whenever we encounter a spider on the playground or classroom I stop them from killing it and I capture it and release it some where safe instead. The other teachers think I am nuts, but who cares.;)
ts

Thats the sort of attitude we need to try and get people in to. Wen people say they kill them i get very annoyed. If you cant move it, leave it!

I had a customer tell me how much she hated spiders and kills thrm all the time just because she saw my workshop wall covered in webs. I turned and said ok how would you feel if someone just run over your cat for the sake of it being in the road? She looked all confused. So i said im a tarantula owner and she was like oh sorry i dont nomally kill them just freak out. I thought yea ok what ever lol

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
It also annoys me very much! I am slowly but surely getting thru to the kids. Now some of them even stop their parents if they want to kill a spider, because teacher says they are all God's creatures and dont need to be killed. :) People should change their outlook towards spiders. I converted my sister and she is now also a tarantula owner and enthusiast. :)

Spinnerets

3 Year Member
The last year especially the number of people keeping tarantulas in uk has drastically risen as most of them I connect with in my face book group and have sold to many of them and given advice and still do ... I love to educate and be educated shame I never felt the same about maths :-D :-D Any way took a few photos today :) :)