• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Young Enthusiast From NY!

Major 78

Greetings! I am a young bug keeper, who started keeping bugs at an even younger age! I have kept many animals and bugs including mantids, ants, termites, beetles, mealworms, fish, cat, dubia roaches, and more! (I have four different bug forums open right now haha) Notice something missing on the list? Arachnids! I've been terrified since I was very little of all sorts of Arachnids. The one time I manned up and touched a tarantula, I was proud! I couldn't understand why I had arachnophobia, and never bothered to get over it. Well, untill now. I recently saw a jumping spider in my little apartment, and realized I thought it was adorable! I did some research and I knew what I had to do. Sometime soon, I will order some Phiddipus Regius Slings! I'm not ready to start keeping larger tarantulas yet, not completely over my fear. But as they say, time can fix almost anything! I do not know much about Phiddipus Regius (Regal Jumping Spider) and would like to know a bit their care. I do have one burning question though, Phiddipus Regius don't have deadly bite do they?

Thanks, S.F.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Major 78

Hi and welcome :)

I kept P. regius for a time, sadly they don't live very long but they are great characters.
Here are a couple of threads on my time with them:-
https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/meet-tallahassee-the-jumping-spider.15461/#post-102004
https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/phidippus-regius-egg-sac-now-x-3.16502/#post-104883

Thank you for the welcome and links! I also have a question for anyone reading this, are there any tarantula species that do not have venom?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome Major! Good to see you on here, it's certainly one of my favourite forums, you wont be sorry you joined.
There aren't any non-venomous tarantulas, but New World tarantulas have venom that is not as potent as Old World tarantulas, however OW don't have irritating hairs to flick at you and most NW do. All Australian species are OW and to me that's good, I don't plan on being bitten so I can do without the hairs!
I don't know whether to tell you to read the bite reports or not to be honest, I don't want you to change your mind!
This forum supports keeping a wide range of animals, not just Tarantulas so you'll find a subforum to suit any of your pets or interests.
I look forward to seeing how you go and what you get, I wouldn't limit myself to small species, a sling takes time to grow, I'm getting impatient now and wishing I'd bought a couple of larger ones.
Catch you around the traps!

Major 78

Noticed your giving away your entire collection on Arachnoboards...no love for this forum???;) Are you getting out of the hobby???

Yes, I'm getting out of every bug hobby I have. Which is quite a few. Not sure why. Still love them, just don't have the burning desire to keep them any more. Someone is bringing them to a better home tmrw, and giving me some cash as a token of their appreciation.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I'm getting out of every bug hobby I have. Which is quite a few. Not sure why. Still love them, just don't have the burning desire to keep them any more. Someone is bringing them to a better home tmrw, and giving me some cash as a token of their appreciation.
Good luck buddy!!!! You'll be back ;)

Latest posts