• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Young B. Emilia not eaten in over 2 weeks

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,
I just wanted to check this. I have heard that it is quite normal for adult tarantulas to stop eating for ages, but I wondered if it is also normal when they are younger?

My Leta is about 1.5 inches, so maybe large sling/small juvenile?

Below are some pictures. At the beginning of the 2 weeks she barricaded the entrance to her hide so I thought she was going in to moult. However two weeks later, she has still not come out and the barricade mound has grown. I sometimes see her appear in the window she has made at the bottom of the tunnel, so I can see she is okay, but I am worried about the food situation. Quite a few times I have let a cricket run round the enclosure just in case she has made a new entrance to the hide that I haven't noticed, and wants to come out to eat. However she doesn't come out so I remove the cricket.

DSC06473 - Copy.JPG

DSC06389 - Copy.JPG
DSC06408 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06475.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 5

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Perfectly normal. Mysmall B. auratum sling (she was still living in a small deli cup) went for months without food. As long as they have fresh water available, they are fine.

Thanks very much for the reassurance! :)