• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yet more questions on lighting.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
A recent discussion is making me question my lighting usage for my Ts. Here is part of that:

Lights are another vanity for humans and not for spiders. Tarantulas are nocturnal...why would they need lighting? If you asked 10 spiders what lighting they prefer I promise you 10 out of 10 would say no lights please. ;) Infact tarantulas don't possess eyelids to block those super high LED beams. This can cause a spider that has already poor vision to have possible eye damage. Lights should be used only for maintenance and not for vanity.

For me the aquarium plant LEDs are to allow various plants to grow with the idea to eventually place them inside the enclosure.

New question:
Oh, just to extend this discussion a teeny bit, but some species like G. rosea as they start to mature in captivity, seem to spend more time out in the open. They largely foresake their dens. I don't know if they do this in the wild, but I suspect not or not as much.

Except for males searching for some companionship, why would they do this as it does expose them to at least some more light in enclosures and potentially a lot more in the wild.
Just curious.

Latest posts