• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried enclosure is too big

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi, I got an adult tarantula starter kit to make sure I had everything needed, however the only beginner-friendly spiders they had in stock were juveniles. Now I am worried that the enclosure is too big for her? Will she be able to find the water ok, and crickets when I feed her next week?

Screenshots from when she first came out of the packaging:

m4.JPG
m5.JPG

The enclosure set up the day before:

CIMG2203.JPG

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yep, too big, too much free climbing height

Your sling would be comfy in a 4x4x4 cube with 2" of substrate, a small cork bark hunk, some moss and a bottle cap water dish.

Regarding substrate depth. Fill the enclosures with firmly packed, damp (not wet) substrate to leave 1.5-2x DLS (diagonal leg span) free climbing height.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Yep, too big, too much free climbing height

Your sling would be comfy in a 4x4x4 cube with 2" of substrate, a small cork bark hunk, some moss and a bottle cap water dish.

Regarding substrate depth. Fill the enclosures with firmly packed, damp (not wet) substrate to leave 1.5-2x DLS (diagonal leg span) free climbing height.

Thank you, do you have any recommendations as to where I can get a 4x4x4 cube with fast delivery? And do you mean like 4 inches long/height?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
P.s. Alternatively I have this cricket enclosure 16x11x9cm (a bit over 4 inches high), that I am no longer using as I have put the crickets in a big plastic box. The sides have flaps but maybe I could tape over them for now?

CIMG2229.JPG

T-Baby

3 Year Member
That’s still too high unless you’re going to pack it out with substrate. Using tape isn’t a good idea either as their toes could get stuck

Bra-plast Tubs are really good as they come with air holes already and can be purchased from amazon/eBay even spidershop!
No need to panic, she’ll find the water and she’ll hunt for her prey until you manage to sort something smaller :)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
That’s still too high unless you’re going to pack it out with substrate. Using tape isn’t a good idea either as their toes could get stuck

Bra-plast Tubs are really good as they come with air holes already and can be purchased from amazon/eBay even spidershop!
No need to panic, she’ll find the water and she’ll hunt for her prey until you manage to sort something smaller :)

Thanks!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't use water dishes for terrestrial slings smaller than 1" at this point. A pile of damp moss in a corner will easily suffice

You can use an empty plastic peanut butter jar. Melt ventilation holes in it with a soldering iron and pack it full of substrate leaving about 2" of free height (for your size sling) make a starter burrow with the butt of a pen and throw a clump of damp moss in there.

Be sure to pack the substrate down firm. Easier to do when it's damp. Ts appreciate solid ground and HATE soft, fluffy surfaces.

Latest posts