• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about hydrating tarantula

Zannee2000

I’m new to having tarantulas but my tarantula recently closed off her cave from each side so there isn’t any entrance but how is she going to stay hydrated when the water bowl is outside also I’ve heard that it usually means they are about to molt but she constantly eats and ate yesterday so idk if that’s what it is

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It does indeed mean they are going to molt, but it also a way of saying do not disturb. A lot of times you'll catch tarantulas out at night doing their thing.

What species do you have if I may ask?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Don't worry. If it gets thirsty it will come out. they do seal themselves in to moult, but also for other reasons (eg after a good feed and no longer hungry, when placed in a new enclosure) as it makes them feel more secure. They can stay sealed in like this for weeks, sometimes months. Don't disturb it, just make sure you keep the water bowl full and you can overflow it slightly. If you are really worried, then you can drip a few drops of water (3 or 4) on the webbing at the entrance where it can pool up in a miniature puddle. You could even get a smaller temporary water bowl and place it by the hide entrance, but those measures are more so that you can feel less worried, as your tarantula would be fine just with its normal waterdish.